what can i do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4enzix

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi, im cycling my new 10 gallon nano reef... and im just over 2 weeks into the process.... i have 8 lbs of LR and 11 lbs of aragonite (1 lbs was from my established tank) but i was also looking for a small hardy fish in which to put into the tank to help along the cycle.... is there any other kind of fish besides damsels (and preferably besides clowns) that i could put in and possibly keep after the cycle? thanks guys

Most of us do not support cycling with fish, it is very hard on them. Why not throw a piece of raw shrimp in? It will cycle just as well, maybe even faster.

raw shrimp eh? like just something id buy at the grocery store? i can do that... in the mean time is there anything i can put in the tank for a little activity? hermits or something? or just wait for that?

There is no longer a need to cycle a tank with live creatures. It's like drowning in your own waste. I have used plain household ammonia successfully. No smell and it cycled in 4 weeks. Patience will reward you in this hobby.

how would i administer house hold ammonia... and how much? i have some sitting around... that might be useful

I've never done that method myself, but I believe you add enough to give a big ammonia spike initially, then keep doing a smaller dose daily to maintain the levels over the next few weeks, and timing how long it takes for the spike to drop. When it drops fast, the ammonia phase is done. With established sand in the tank already the shrimp method should give an easy and fast cycle. Raw coctail shrimp from safeway is all you need, go light on the marinara as it just clouds up the tank. Ammonia might be a llittle faster but is a little more work.

I have used plain household ammonia successfully.
Just make sure there is notheing else besides NH4. Many products have perfumes and such, which is a bad thing. If you arn't sure, don't do it.
I went with the shrimp. a couple of lbs at the lgs. 1 for the tank, the rest on the bbq 8)

In the Articles section of this website, there is an excellent paper on cycling of SW tanks without the use of live fish. It recommends buying raw shrimp from the grocery store and using it as bio materials. This is what I intend to do when I reach that stage. Enjoy!

deal... one more quick question... how long is the average cycle? i know not to rush things.. and i know as soon as my parameters are good i just dont go out and spend but normally how long is it

normal cycle...well it varies so much..but expect at least 4 weeks, up to 6 weeks. rare cases it takes 8-10 weeks, usually because the cycle was interupted by the tank owner.

If you live rock is healthy and already cured, it can take just 2 weeks to cycle a tank. That's what happened to me...liverocks.com rock arrived, it went in my tank..i added fish food every day, and in 10 days I had nitrates just above 10ppm, and no ammonia or nitrite, verified with 3 different test kits.
But don't consider that 'the normal cycle'

I think the definition of "normal cycle" is going to have to be changed now that everyone seems to be going the LR route.. 2 weeks seems to be a lot more common than 4 weeks.

Nobody seems to have a long cycle if they add in fresh live rock. because the bacteria is already there. Especially from LR.com when it is shipped over night.

Back
Top Bottom