what color bulb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogspawn

Aquarium Advice Freak
i am going to buy a new bulb for my 30G reef.. i currently have a 150 or 175 watt HQI bulb.. but what color should i buy?
10000k,15000k, or 20000k? or any other K i forgot to mention

It`s really your preference. I personally like the bluer look. I only have VHO`s but I use 2- super actinic and 2 50/50 for the blue look.

Wow I was reading your thread Hara. I didn't know MH bulbs would last that long 18-19 months. I thought your suppose to replace every 6 months because of the spectrum shifts.

Most metal halides should be replaced at least by 1yr date to ensure spectral efficiency.

Sanjay put out a theory at the last macna I was at, suggesting that by possibly lowering the lighting unit closer to the water, you can get longer life from the bulbs. I was testing the theory and really didnt see any problems with any of the corals. I did start to see some diatom and a little cyano. That is why I changed them out. It is known, tested fact, that different bulbs made by different manufactures have varying useful lifespans. The annual replacement is a general guideline and without the use of light meters, you cant be absolutely certain when the bulbs MUST be replaced. Obviously, my tank did not suffer any for the lack of bulb change any sooner.

Frogspawn,

If you are looking for coral growth and health go with the 10K and supplement with actinics, if you are going more for looks then go with a 15K or 20K.

I agree with changing the bulbs out every 8 to 12 months. When mine get to the 8 month mark I have a new set ready to change out. I notice that diatoms and cyano become more and more pronounced and my corals don't open as much. I recently changed out my bulbs and switched back to 14K and the difference is amazing. My corals are just beautiful and I can tell a difference in growth week from week. (I take pictures every week of my corals)

I say better safe then sorry and change them out every 8 to 12 months. Over all it isn't that great of an expense. I would much rather see my tank healthy and happy then get a few extra months of use out of a set of bulbs.

Hara said:
Sanjay put out a theory at the last macna I was at, suggesting that by possibly lowering the lighting unit closer to the water, you can get longer life from the bulbs. I was testing the theory and really didnt see any problems with any of the corals. I did start to see some diatom and a little cyano. That is why I changed them out. It is known, tested fact, that different bulbs made by different manufactures have varying useful lifespans. The annual replacement is a general guideline and without the use of light meters, you cant be absolutely certain when the bulbs MUST be replaced. Obviously, my tank did not suffer any for the lack of bulb change any sooner.

So you mean lower the unit closer to the water like an inch every 6 months or something like that to increase the bulb life? And what brands have the best lifespans? My next tank is going to have MH lighting so I'm trying to get it all squared away in my mind and I'm sure this info will help others.

In my particular instance, it costs roughly 4oo. to change out the bulbs, I do it when it requires it and will try to stretch it out as long as is possible without detriment to the corals.

In response to your question, I agree with Melosu58. It is a matter of your preference. Which bulbs (and ratings) do you have now? Are you satisfied with the color or look of your corals under those bulbs? Are you satisfied with the growth of your corals under those bulbs?

I wasn't satisfied with the color of my corals under my previous bulbs so I my next set had a higher K rating than the first.

well right now i guess every things ok with the color.. i belive i have a 14k bulb.
as for mabey buying a 10k and adding some other lighting?
thats a no go..
i have no room on top of my tank.. its just a little square and the sun paq taks up 3/4 of the sapce and my protin skimmer takes the rest.
i am going to buy a 14 or mabey higher k bulb..
i need to find out how to combat this alage i have and get rid of it.. also i need to get 1 or 2 more fish in there as well and some new coral.. i been waiting for my tank to mature and i belive now it should be. its been up and running for about 8-9 months now.

how can i tell if its fully mature?

i will buy the bulb now off drfostersmith. should be here in a week or atleast i hope!! also i am going to pop 2 of my pulsing exzina off and give them out.. ziggy did ya want any?

i am heading to VA this weekend to that fish store beside you and if ya wanted it i would bring it down.. i am also fraging my mushroom coral.. its freaking huge.. no line its so big when it is full spread out its dia. is over 1/2 the size of my tank.. its shading my clam from light.

Here is the brief review I did on Sanjay's lecture.
Note the fact that there is a link to Sanjay's reef lighting site, where he has tested bulbs, ballasts and assorted combinations of them.

Hopefully you will find this useful.

Sanjay has definitely contributed a great deal of good info on lighting to this hobby.
As far as MH life span goes- briefly- generally higher K lamps need to be replaced more often. They usually start out w/ less PAR than lower K lamps and lose intensity quicker. I like to change mine at 11-13 months using 10 K lamps in a fixed mounting position.

Frogspawn said:
i need to find out how to combat this alage i have and get rid of it.. also i need to get 1 or 2 more fish in there as well
Not a good plan if you're already having nutrient/algae issues. Generally tanks are not considered fully mature and stable until a year- at least. There are many biological processing still going on that you can't test for. I would say when you have good params always and very little to no nuisance algae thats a decent sign your tank has matured and is stable. Increase fish=increase food input/waste=increased algae growth

Do a search on nuisance algae(hair, cyano, etc) on you'll get plenty of info. Here is a quick article on algae control- http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=14

(Valonia spp) this is one form of alage i most certainly have!
(Hair Algae) this is another form of Alage i am having the most problem with!

i do have another type of alage but i am still loking for it on the web. i will post when i find it.

so heres my plan..

- i am going to do water changes every week 5g on a 30g tank
- buy new 150watt 14000K HQI bulb
- Increase water flow at top of tank. to do this i am going to move my maxi jet 600 a little closer to the top and point it directly at the surface. this pump will run 24-7.
- decrease lighting time to 8-9 hrs instead of 11-12 i have it set for now.
- decrease food giving to fish.. feed 3days.(mon,wed,fri) mabe some plankton on sun for coral. 1/4 tsp.
-buy yellow tang. (but i belive my tank might be too small)

now i do have a 25 watt UV light, but i have no Pump to run it, nor do i have any clue how to get the water to the light and back. The top of my tank is to small to hold another pump. If i was to use my UV light i would have to set it on floor or build a shelf beside the tank to place it on.

idea* is it possible to gravity feed the UV light and use a pump to pump the water back into the tank?

Any idea's on that UV light? how could i get the water to the light and back to the tank?

i dont have a sump or a HOB refuge any more.
i have 40lbs of LR and a reef-rdy bac-pac skimmer.

Look up the manufacturer and product number of your unit online and use whatever pump or powerhead they recommend.

Keep in mind that one 14k bulb does not equal another 14k bulb.

For 150w, I like the Pheonix 14k. I use it on my frag tank. it is whitish with a hint of blue. Started out really blue but it lightened up after burn in.

On my Display I am using Reeflux 10k's. They are a bright white but have an actinic hit that is real nice. My acros colored up big time with them. I am trying a XM 20k as I would like a bit bluer look but I think it might be too blue. I have actinic supplements. XM's, pheonix and the reeflux are good bulbs and are not too expensive. Usually run $50-60.

Really depends on your preference as stated above.

Frogspawn said:
Any idea's on that UV light? how could i get the water to the light and back to the tank?

You have to buy a pump. If you dont have a sump then you`ll need a HOB UV.

Back
Top Bottom