What do i need to get started??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tsk5035

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been keeping fw for quite a while but I'm curious in getting started with a freshwater tank...

If I wanted to try a sw tank, what would I need?

I'm thinking I'd like to do a 20 gallon with corals, maybe a fish. Lol

But the main thing would be like buying cheaper small coral frags and growing them out...

I started with:

Hydrometer
Salt mix
hang on back filter from a fw tank
T5 tek light I got a deal off craiglist
2 power heads and one I had for surface agitation.
Live rock and some base rock.
Heater and thermometer

I don't have a protien skimmer yet but will have one next week.
My filter is simple and all it has is a sponge to clean water and I put lr fragmentation in the filter with some biomedia. It does the job just wish it had more suction because the current often times makes the particals in the water fly past the intake. It will take a bit to cycle so you should be good with all that

Main thing is setting the tank up right, cycling it through completely, reading about various corals and husbandry requirements. This will enable you to make the right choice if corals are right for you. Corals and lighting go hand in hand...many corals require intense light whereas other don't require any, with many more somewhere in between both ends. Calcium, alkalinity, iodine and strontium/molybdenum are also important variables that have to not be overlooked.
Good luck.

Thank you guys!!

I guess the biggest thing I was curious about was if it is possible to grow frags in a 20 gallon, but it sounds like I can! Thanks!!!

Two things you will need a refractometer (more accurate than a hydrometer) and a liquid test kit you can download the cards from online and use your freshwater except for the ph test.

Start your tank with ro water from the beginning to help prevent algae from over taking it.

I liked the new marine aquarium by paletta.

I would add

16 gallon rubbermaid tub for water mixing
Extra PH and heater for water changes
Turkey baster for target feeding

Back
Top Bottom