Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-07-2004, 12:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What size tank for a beginner?

Good morning all...

I've been doing a lot of reading and research for the past few weeks, and I'm ready to start putting together a list of aquarium accessories that I want to buy. However, my biggest problem so far has been trying to decide on an aquarium size. In most of my reading, the rule of thumb seems to be "the bigger, the better" for a beginner, mostly because a change in water quality is apparently easier to control in a larger environment. does this seem to be an accurate statement? for those of you who did start with a large tank, did you run into any problems that made you wish you had started smaller?

My thinking right now is that I will get a tank no smaller than 55 gal, with a maximum size of around 120 gal.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Old 09-07-2004, 01:00 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I prefer a 75gal over a 55 gal. The resoning is that the 55 is just to narrow to easily aquascape where as the 75 is a bit wider and that makes it alot easier when it comes to doing the rock aquascaping.

The larger the water volume the more stable the system. That is a true statement. Of course at the same time the larger the system the more costly to operate so there is a balance there between stability and cost.

If you have space and a budget I would start with a 75.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 01:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You might want to think about what your budget is. The cost can add up pretty quickly. What do you want to keep? Fish Only, Fish Only With Live Rock, Reef? One thing that you can do to save some cash is buy only the tank and stand from your LFS and purchase everything else online or out of a catalogue. As far as tank size goes, I'd personally choose a 75gal tank over a 55 because it has a larger footprint. In my opinion, it is easier to aquascape with the extra 6" of space from front to back. HTH
140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 01:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

lol, fishfreek beat me to the punch once again!
140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 01:19 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I do love my 75g starter tank. But learning more about fish and coral, I really wish I had a 125g. I take that back, a 210g is the object of my desire. 8)

So, my answer to your question about wishing I had started with a smaller is - - - I wish I had started with a larger tank.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 01:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree. I was going to go with a 55 until I realized that the 75 was the same length, only deeper and a couple of inches taller (IIRC). It seems like a good size all around. Though no doubt in a year or two I'll be pining after a 180 . . .
Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 01:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I like the 120. I wish I would have bought it instead of the 90. My 90 has a 18 deep by 4ft wide foot print, while the 120 has a 4ft by 2ft foot print. 2ft for aquascaping is aswesome. The only two problems I see are that:

1. It is a lot of water volume in a small foot print. Unlike the 125 with is 6ftx 18" the weight is not spread out a crossed multiple floor joist( but this really only matters it you are placing it on a unsupported floor)
2. You'll need better lights (if you plan to keep coral) like Metal Halides with a min of 175w since the tank is so deep. but the good thing is you'll only need two as opposed to 3 with a 6 ft tank.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:17 PM   #8

If you can, get the 120!
Old 09-07-2004, 02:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it's important to look at costs.. It makes no sense going for a big tank and then realizing you're gonna have to skimp on all the other stuff you need. It's better to do a good small tank than a mediocre large one.

Also IMO, anything around 30 gal or over is fine for a beginner so don't feel like you have to go big to stand a chance.

However (I think I just wrote this in another thread too) it's very important to take the intended livestock into consideration before purchasing a tank. There are a lot of SW fish that get very big, and indeed should not be kept in smaller tanks. It's never a good approach to get the tank setup first and then decide what life you want to put in it. You'll nearly always want something you can't accommodate.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 02:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
I do love my 75g starter tank. But learning more about fish and coral, I really wish I had a 125g. I take that back, a 210g is the object of my desire. 8)
:
It doesn't end there. Now I want a 400 gallon
(won't happen )

Agree with others, the bigger the tank, the better.

Tags
beginner, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com