Where to place heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GreenMonster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I have a 75g main tank and I am currently in the process of building a 40g refugium/sump and I've heard that some people place their heaters in the sump so that it's not in the display tank. I would like to do this too but I was wondering if there was a specific stage as to where it should be placed? Or just anywhere in the sump where it will fit?

I believe it can go anywhere in the sump ...have you considered placing it in the overflow box?? I placed both of mine in there and they work perfect

I did not think of the overflow box... That would be a good place to put it! I'll have to do recheck the measurements to make sure that it will fit, thank you for the help.

Only thing with the overflow is you`ll need to make sure the overflow does not run out of water or it will over heat and melt the overflow. Maybe even catch on fire. I would do it in the sump where your return pump is.

Yea I was thinking about that too actually. I know a heater that size for a 75g tank is going to be fairly long so I'm trying to picture it and I think that placing it upright would be the best way to go. My only other concern would be how do I set up the plumbing so that should the power go out, the water drains into my sump so that the heater will not overheat?

I should have been more clear on that lol I'm sorry. Do you guys have a fail safe for the sump if the power goes out so that the sump or main tank will not overflow?

I keep mine on the bottom in the return area. I have for thirteen years. The water falls by gravity. When power is stopped the pumps cut off but the water will drop till it reaches the opening of the overflow at the top. When power resumes then the sump water is pumped back up and when it gets over the top teeth then it falls back by gravity. As long as your gravity fed water to the sump equals your returned water to the main then you`ll be OK.

melosu58 said:
Only thing with the overflow is you`ll need to make sure the overflow does not run out of water or it will over heat and melt the overflow. Maybe even catch on fire. I would do it in the sump where your return pump is.

With some heaters this would be a very good point, but alot of heaters now come with water level sensors that automatically shut off the heater should the water level drop too far (like my aqueon pro 250) so if you your heaters have this option, that's not a concern. Even if they don't have the auto-shutoff it really woukdn bother me..I personally check my tank atleast once a day, if tore the same way you'll be ok

I didn't know that they made heaters with that kind of technology, that's great to hear! So do you think it would be most beneficial to be placed in the same stage as the return pump in my sump?

I honestly don think it matters where you place it in the sump, as long as it isn't in contact with any plastics

Back
Top Bottom