while the rock is out of the water...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drm

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all.
I have a 30 gal tank with 8-day-new live rock from lr.com, no fish yet. Tank is cycling. Has been set up and running since August. :)
My question is... pretty sure I have a mantis shrimp, looks to be at least 1.5 inches long, maybe more. (Has round eyes poking up from the front of his head, am I correct that this would be a mantis vs. pistol?). I am going to try to remove him by dipping in fresh water, as I have seen him many times and know which rock he lives in. I know that everyone says not to "yank off" the aiptasia... does that include not yanking even while the rock is out of the water? Or is it only a problem to pull it of while in the water? I have at least 5 aiptasia on that rock alone, 2 very large. I've read of other removal methods, but I thought I would ask this before I dunk my rock.
Thanks for your help!

Aptashia are very hard to "yank" off of the rock. They sort of turn to mush and melt into a slime so grabbing them is out of the question. You may just want to cycle with them and add peppermints once all is well to see if they will eat them. I have used paper towels to try and wipe them away, then dipped in SW out of the main before adding the rock back in. I do not reccomend this, however. There is a chance you can worsen the problem. fgood luck getting the mantis, they are a worthy opponent.

Back
Top Bottom