white floating film in a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtneyclv

Aquarium Advice Activist
My new tank has this white-ish film floating on the top and has been there for a few days. Is it maybe just because my Mr. Crabby stirs my substrate (fine sand) around?

a pic would help but If I remember right my tank had it and it was from the sand bed.. do you have any type of surface skimming? did u use play sand?

I agree with seaham, mine did that when I added my sand. You can adjust your PHs to get a little more surface movement and that should clrear it up.

No I used sand from my LFS. I don't remember the brand but it was on a suggestion list in one of the forums. I checked the ph today. It is now around 8.0
I dont have a protein skimmer but a canister filter and a small blower on the otherside. There is a ton of movement but it doesnt seem to get picked up by either filter. Everyone seems to be doing well. (damsels and crabby)

I don't know what it is either, but both times I started my saltwater 29g from scratch (don't ask) it happened. And after a few days it will get really really bad. Let it, then do a pwc from the top of the water (with a pitcher or something) and get as much of it as you can. After that, add your new water and you will never see the stuff again.

If you can't get it all with the water change. Then I think just using a fishnet to get the rest should do you right.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom