Will a clownfish host a Neon Green Hammer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the_fish_man

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently got one of these at a frag fest and can't find any info on them so I was wondering a couple things about them
Will a clownfish host in them?
What is the max size for growing?
How fast do they grow? Where do you place it in the tank?(bottom top)
What requirements does it require?(lighting currents etc.)
Thanks

Clownfish can host anything. I've heard stories about clownfish hosting a powerhead. So, it may not be that likely but I would not say that it is impossible.

Personally, I have had a clownfish host in gonipora.

Don't give them too much current and mid lighting. They can be very aggressive, so give some space between them and any nearby corals. You will know when you see the long sweeper tentacles coming off the head and the nearby corals shrinking back or getting damaged.

It's a branching coral. Given time it can get quite large. You can always frag pieces off by breaking the dead coral structure. Leave about two inches between where you cut and any live tissue.

Not all Hammers (actually, Anchor) are branching. Some are termed "walls" which describes the skeleton nicely. It should be obvious which you have by looking at the skeleton. In my opinion, the branching type are more hardy - if a head gets damaged you can just snap it off. With a wall type, if there is tissue damage, it can rapidly just progress right down the entire "wall" of tissue and you'll lose the entire coral.

Often times, clowns hosting LPS kind of dooms the LPS. Depends on the coral and the clown, but many times the clown just "loves" the coral to death by not letting it expand or by constantly irritating or damaging it. Just something to watch for... not that you can do anything about it!

Not all Hammers (actually, Anchor) are branching. Some are termed "walls" which describes the skeleton nicely.

I have both kinds in my tank. The "walled" one that Kurt was talking about is the one that my tomato clown hosted. He died recently at 12 yrs old but he loved his hammer coral.

100_1013.JPG

You don't need to feed the coral anything. It will get what it needs from the water column and the light.

Okay on liveaquaria it said to feed it.
Although nobody never answered how fast they grow?

a new head every month or two under optimum conditions i guess. it's skeleton is built from it pulling calcium from the water column. not enough calcium= slower growing.

Mr. X / Doug
Is this the same for Frogspawn as you stated below

a new head every month or two under optimum conditions i guess. it's skeleton is built from it pulling calcium from the water column. not enough calcium= slower growing.

that's what i was talking about...branching euphyllia. frogspawn, torch, hammer. the wall ones seem to take a bit longer. i guess it's due to them having to make a lot more skeleton.

I have the wall type. It's not big but since I've ad it it has grown quite a bit. I have it in the sand. You think thats a good place to keept it?
img_1184091_0_92a782a2b7d39df6968dfa5105268617.jpg

I know this is not a very good picture but my phone camera is not the best and the one that should be took even worse picture.
I saw this thing sticking out of the side of my Frogspawn and it seems to be getting longer is it something for me to be worried about and if so how do I get rid of it?

Attachments

• Frogspawn at 6am.jpg
    Frogspawn at 6am.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 102
you mean that thing at the bottom of the head, attached to the skeleton? do you ever see web-like strings coming out of it?

Nope it is very pointy & hard. I got another picture when I went home for lunch still not much better.

Attachments

• Frogspawn at 9am.jpg
    Frogspawn at 9am.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 98
this is probably a vermetid gastropod. It is a harmless, sessile snail that captures detritus and plankton with a mucus trap. they form calcareous tubes that project them out into the water column.

I thought those where bad when they are attached to the skelton's of the coral's? Are am I thinking of something else. I wish I could remember the thread I was reading last week it had something like this but it was actually killing the coral....

i've never seen one of those kill a coral. i've never heard of it either. maybe it was another creature you were thinking of.

Back
Top Bottom