Would love a reef but scared.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 10g and 55g tank FW already and I have a second 55g sitting here waiting on supplies to get it up and running. At this point we could go either way, FW or SW. I would absolutely love a reef tank but I'm wondering how much more money wise a reef is to maintain than a simple FW? Also can anyone link me to good info on sumps? If a reef is too intricate for a beginner, can I start of with FOWLR and build up to a reef? Really lost with SW.

im a sw beginer and im allmost done settin up my 10g nano reef the biggest cost factor in a reef if lights and livestock

you can infact build up from a FOWLR to a reef, its probably the preffered way to do it as reef systems need a well established stable system.

the main expense on a reef is the lighting for them.

Thanks guys. Wolf if you want to that would be awesome. I think more than anything money is our limiting factor.

As far as cost, compared to FW it is more expensive but in my opinion the rewards are greater. Again that's only my opinion. The biggest cost is the lights but you don't want to skimp on them just to buy better lights later on.

ok well i keep it basic
pfs usually $5 per 50lbs you need 1-2lb of substrate per gallon
Rock i suggest base rock its cheaper and wilm become live over time and you wont invite any unwanted hitchhikers base rock $2/lb at reefcleaners 3.20/lb at marcos rocks
skimmer will update in a sec
hob filter(optional) many people suggest a aquaclear most of your filtration comes from your rock aquaclears run from $20-45
lights il let someone better suited chime in there
powerhead will update in a moment
heater 5w per gallon will update ina sec
thats all i can think itslate here sorry if i left anything out my brains kinda dead

If you use base rock, which isn't a bad idea if cost is a concern, buy some LR to seed the base rock. A sump/fuge would be a better option that a HOB filter IMO.

BallinCrew10 said:
If you use base rock, which isn't a bad idea if cost is a concern, buy some LR to seed the base rock. A sump/fuge would be a better option that a HOB filter IMO.

i forgot about lr to seed my brain is dead and yeah sump fuge would be good also allowing more total water volume ii forgot about those thanks for filin in the gaps

what about the cost of PWCs?
do you have an RO/DI unit?
trips to the LFS?

Start with a FOWLR tank and go from there. I am lucky I have gotten all of my SW stuff used or off ebay. There is a fewl pieces of equipment I wouldn't do without when it comes to a reef tank RO unit, liquid tests and a refractometer. One thing that is free but almost hard to obtain and that is patience.

Well I just finished cycling my 65g it's cost me over £1600 ( and don't have any fish yet) to set up compared to about £500 for fresh water, the lights are the most expensive but if you do fowlr first then buy your lights for the corral, a 4x t5 Arcadia unit is about £500 in England, but it's worth every penny,

Trust me the pride when you get your first fish ect ect out weighs the cost a million to one :)

Oh yeh my RO/DI set up cost about £200, with a 150g a day unit, plumbing,big water butt, I use a old powerhead and heater to mix it and bring it up to temprature,and a tub of Kent marine reef mix salt was £53 but it makes 750l at a specific gravity of 0.25

My local fish shop knocks out RO/DI water which is pre mixed with salt is £5 for 25litres but you have to rent the containers at £10 a go, so it's cheaper to make your own

It sounds like you've got the aquarium bug already ,. So why not challenge yourself and do the reef,....as most guys have stated, start with a basic setup usingFOWLR and then go from there, it's a challenge for sure but very rewarding in the long run.
...besides, you're never alone as long as you've got this forum ,...advice is just a post away,.....good luck!! Dary

So true this has been the best ace for advice! I still have not made up my mind but I will soon. Thanks everyone.

skiweeangel said:
So true this has been the best ace for advice! I still have not made up my mind but I will soon. Thanks everyone.

Oh just go for it,....it's an awesome adventure,..." no guts,..no glory"

Back
Top Bottom