X-mas Tank (1st Try at Saltwater)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok thanks. I am planning in getting mostly base rock and then adding a little live rock I seed the rest. As far as stocking goes, I definitely want a pair of occellaris (spelling?) clowns. I also would like a goby of some kind but I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks. If someone could answer my question about filtration that would be greatly appreciated.

A watchman goby and pistol shrimp combo would be AWESOME! Would probably be the life of the tank :). Speaking about rock, craigslist is good, but if there are no options and you don't want to spend a lot of $, get mostly base rock and seed it with some live rock. I personally went with all BRS pukani dry rock and love it. With dry rock, especially pukani, you get more for your money b/c of how porous it is (not the dense fiji kind that most LR is) and there's no water weight (nor are there pests). Bulkreefsupply.com and Marcorocks.com are awesome websites for dry rock. For LR 1-2 lbs per gallon is recommend, while 1/2-1 lb is recommend for dry rock.

obscurereef said:
Are these biowheel type filters? If so, it would probably be best to get a different filter that is rated up to twice your tank. So something for a 40 gallon would work. Reef tanks require lower nitrates, and filtration helps with keeping them down. Lot's of people recommend and love the aquaclear filter for their SW reef tanks/FOWLR.

The filter in question is a bio wheel but can be removed with ease. It is rated for a 50 gallon tank so I assume it is strong enough. Would it be ok? If not, then what kid of aquaclear? 50?

obscurereef said:
Yeah standard sizes are going to be less money than others. I would know from having a 70 gallon 5 foot tank and having to buy a 60" light instead of a 48" :banghead:. I think you'd be okay in the long run. If you keep corals that are easy and allow some room for error which would be soft corals/polyps, etc. I think a semi-accurate test would be okay. Hard corals are a different story, plus they need more lighting and consistent/ideal parameters most of the time creating more light/work than I think you want to commit to right now. If you have a good salt, say Red Sea Coral Pro Salt (I use this, it's awesome :D) or reef crystals, I don't think you'd need to dose much. Maybe you can get some B-ionic 2 part system bottles to dose on occasion if your levels get too low, but since you have a small tank, and prob. not a lot of corals that require high calcium, you should be fine w/ just the salt.

My Lfs only carries instant ocean. Is this ok? Also for water changes, since I have well water I am almost certain that tap water will not work. Especially for a reef. So can I buy premixed saltwater at Petco? Or is it just plain RO water?

Also, I love the moonlight effect given off by led lights. Is there a cheaper light that would fit my tank with those already installed? If not, what kind of aftermarket products would you suggest?

As far as stocking goes:

2x clowns
1x pistol shrimp
1x watchman goby
CUC?

What should I do for my CUC?

Other possible corals besides some polyps?

A 50 aquaclear would be nice. I'm sure you can work with the filter you already have if you're keeping hardy corals. How old is the filter? I saw one of the members here get a Aquaclear 110 and put first in some media, then divide to have the rest for a heater then a little refugium. Best idea ever IMO! It would be cool to have a zoa garden and mushrooms. They come in all colors and most are crazy neon or brilliant colors.

Not instant ocean reef crystals? Try to find some place w/ a salt that has supplements as inverts/corals need strontium, magnesium, calcium, alk., and a lot comes from the salt. If you just had the normal instant ocean reef crystals you wouldn't get all of the elements that corals thrive on.

I think I will just try the Zoa garden with the 'shrooms. Thanks for that idea! I will probably just get te aquaclear 50 as it was cheaper than expected :). I will look into the salt to see if it is reef or not.

jackwagon said:
My Lfs only carries instant ocean. Is this ok? Also for water changes, since I have well water I am almost certain that tap water will not work. Especially for a reef. So can I buy premixed saltwater at Petco? Or is it just plain RO water?

Also, I love the moonlight effect given off by led lights. Is there a cheaper light that would fit my tank with those already installed? If not, what kind of aftermarket products would you suggest?

As far as stocking goes:

2x clowns
1x pistol shrimp
1x watchman goby
CUC?

What should I do for my CUC?

Other possible corals besides some polyps?

The premixed SW at Petco would be fine, but I'm guessing its expensive. My Petco sells RO water for 0.25/gal. I take 5 g buckets and fill them and mix my SW at home. Ask if yours sells RO water, it's not advertised, ya gotta ask.

Quick Crew (20 Column/Dbl High)
Just an idea of some of the CUC. You could get more of different types of snails, but those are some main ones. Love nassarius snails, very active and once food hits the ground, it's theres! Some hermit crabs help out a lot with picking out detritus from rocks. You might be able to keep an invert(s) depending on your lighting and how established your tank is. Leather & Soft Corals Soft corals/leathers. Might be able to keep some LPS depending on lighting.

obscurereef said:
Quick Crew (20 Column/Dbl High)
Just an idea of some of the CUC. You could get more of different types of snails, but those are some main ones. Love nassarius snails, very active and once food hits the ground, it's theres! Some hermit crabs help out a lot with picking out detritus from rocks. You might be able to keep an invert(s) depending on your lighting and how established your tank is. Leather & Soft Corals Soft corals/leathers. Might be able to keep some LPS depending on lighting.

Speaking of lighting, would the link I posted work for the corals I want? Ok I found some reef crystals online that would be more than enough.

Never had experience w/ Zoo Med light fixtures, except for their FW T8 lights that I've used. Don't know how good/bad they are. If you want to keep hard corals (LPS) I'd recommend getting a 4 bulb light fixture. Does the fixture come w/ lights? I've heard and seen of odyssea lights working fine w/ even some beginner SPS, but they aren't really high quality and said to be hot and may burn out fast.

jackwagon said:
I think I will just try the Zoa garden with the 'shrooms. Thanks for that idea! I will probably just get te aquaclear 50 as it was cheaper than expected :). I will look into the salt to see if it is reef or not.

The AC 50 will be fine, I have a AC 70 on my 30g without any problems. :)

obscurereef said:
Never had experience w/ Zoo Med light fixtures, except for their FW T8 lights that I've used. Don't know how good/bad they are. If you want to keep hard corals (LPS) I'd recommend getting a 4 bulb light fixture. Does the fixture come w/ lights? I've heard and seen of odyssea lights working fine w/ even some beginner SPS, but they aren't really high quality and said to be hot and may burn out fast.

Ok since I dot really know what I want I'll try to explain it like this.

I want a garden like convict has. What lights do I need I make that happen that are on the cheaper side. Also what are those little round things that make up the "garden". I only want to keep beginner corals which I believe are SPS? Where can I find good deals online for lights? Besides Craigslist.

They are called zoas, wouldn't need too much light or flow. Beginner corals are going to be mainly soft corals/leathers, and maybe some LPS, but most are light loving, so make sure your lighting supports them. SPS are the hardest because they have such small polyps and require more flow and light. Ebay might have some good deals on lighting.

jackwagon said:
Ok since I dot really know what I want I'll try to explain it like this.

I want a garden like convict has. What lights do I need I make that happen that are on the cheaper side. Also what are those little round things that make up the "garden". I only want to keep beginner corals which I believe are SPS? Where can I find good deals online for lights? Besides Craigslist.

I would suggest you PM convict (Dino), and ask him about the lighting. He'll be able to help you with nano lighting. And BTW, ALL of us want a Zoa garden like convict's!!! Lol.

obscurereef said:
They are called zoas, wouldn't need too much light or flow. Beginner corals are going to be mainly soft corals/leathers, and maybe some LPS, but most are light loving, so make sure your lighting supports them. SPS are the hardest because they have such small polyps and require more flow and light. Ebay might have some good deals on lighting.

Ok thanks, I will continue to look for deals.

obscurereef said:
LOL so true!

Ok thanks I have found a cheap good 4 bulb coralife fixture. Now all I have to so is convince my parents that another tank is a food idea.

Thanks! I even made a whole page right up about costs and benifits of me owning one. Lol I'm going hard.

I think I convinced them! I told them that they should give me the money now as an early x-mas present so I can enjoy it longer. They may even let me move some furniture in my room to make room for 3 tanks! (I already have 2)

Back
Top Bottom