You convinced me to do it, now you gotta help me. 46bow reef planning phase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright, so I'm basically just trying to figure out what retro kit and ballast to use. I understand the no-name bulbs are crap. Planning on either Reeflux or hamilton 14Ks for bulbs.

Alright, so we're set on 2x175W MHs and 2x39W T5 Actinics. Just a matter of finding them, which I'll continue to work on. Watching ebay and craigslist, and will make a BRK run soon to check on their T5 retros that Ziggy mentioned.

Also, gonna drill it. Why not, right? Sounds like fun. Now I'll just need to work out an overflow box, but I think I know a source that can help me there. He knows who he is.

So lighting and filtration are taken care of once I finish the last minute details of actually finding the lighting and designing the sump.

Stand - I think I'm going to take Ziggy up on his offer for assistance and tools, as I have none capable of this type of job. Hopefully he's not slapping himself on his head right now thinking "I knew I shouldn't have offered". I'll allow him to backout if he so chooses with no hard feelings - I'll still buy his frags either way :)

Ok, so next questions

I'm figuring drilling out 1" holes, so based on that what size return pump should I consider. I assume it'll be pushing to around 50-60" of head height (roughly 40" high stand). What size do I need? I also intend to drill extra holes for a closed loop with SCWD to make an attempt at not having PHs in the tank. I'll use locline on the outputs to split the flow on either side so I can point it where I want. Recommended pump size for that? Will need to be a pump capable of not being submerged. I'm copying very closely to Sparky's setup on his 29g.

Skimmer? Assuming 20g of water in the sump and 46g tank (minus rock room), what skimmer recommendations do you have? Ray had made a recommendation to me a long time ago, but I don't recall which one it was. I want to accomodate an in-sump design to keep everything down below.

I'll most likely be going with 90lbs LR from F&S and 60lbs live sand. Can't beat their shipping rates.

Neilan,
IMHO XM halides are the best, and it's the kind most coral retailers and wholesalers use.

Dave

You mean bulbs? I'm debating between the XM 15K, Reeflux 12K, and Hamilton 14K for bulbs. First, I'm trying to distinguish the differences in ballasts. I hear IceCaps are the best, but see a lot of ARO, blueline, coralvue, and aquamedic ballasts too for all around the same price. Thoughts on ballasts? I'm ready to order as soon as I figure that out.

Last edited:
There is very little difference in perfomance between the different electronic ballasts. If you go to Sanjay's site and check the same bulb with different electronic ballasts, there is very little difference. The bigger difference is between electronic and magnetic.
I've used both XM 15K and Hamilton 14K and found them both to be very similar. I liked them both. Here's a chart comparing the 2 bulbs. Check out the PPFD number.
I just got Iwasaki 15K. Here's a few charts. Iwasaki & Hamilton and Iwasaki & XM

I told you I would help and I meant it.

As for drilling the holes in the tank. A 1" bulk head requires a 1 3/4" hole. I have a diamond bit (1 3/4") just for 1" bulk heads. For your closed loop you could easily use a MAG5 especially if you are going to split the returns on either side with locline. That would give you great flow.

I'm not tracking with you on the overflow box...I thought that was why you were drilling....

Sweet, thanks Ziggy. We'll get this thing drilled up lickity split. lol

Don't I need an overflow box inside the tank around the sump drain with a wier? Not a HOB overflow, just a regular one for drilled tanks.

Mag5 for the CL and for the sump return?

I went back and looked at what you were refering on Sparky's tank and yes that would be a very good idea to have. Were you planning on putting it in the center of the tank?

You could easily use a MAG5 for both return and the close loop. My closed loop (when I was running it) had a MAG7 and I was very pleased with the way it worked. I may need to set it back up. I have to get a new scwd though.

I'm debating center vs. one of the corners. Functionally I don't think it matters, but I wanted the outlets for the CLs in the corners, so that kind forces me to put it in the center, although from a scaping perspective, I'd rather it not be. I'm also considering doing an internal coast-to-coast, something that wouldn't dip down behind the rockwork is what I'm trying to accomplish. I haven't figured out a simple solution for the drain in that yet, because there won't be room for a dursto standpipe in that instance I don't think.

If it were me I would put it in the center of the tank. If you get black acrylic and paint the back of the tank black it will vanish. I wish I had drilled my tank when I moved it.

That's the backup plan if I don't figure out the other in time.

I've decided on the lighting retro kits I'm going to use, will get them ordered this week. I'll start prepping an F&S order too for pumps, refract, salt, test kits, etc.

Check with Marinedepot.com for your refract I got a great deal on mine (ATC for $30) Check with BRK they have great deals on the salt. I usually get mine from there. Reef Crystals, is what I use and they have deals now and again, bucket for $35 which is about the best price I have seen. Everything else I would get online for sure!

Check on ebay...I ordered mine from one of the online stores on ebay. I got my MAG 7 for $49.00 or something close to that. To contrast, I got my MAG 5 from Annandale Super Pets and it cost me $79.00. Also check big Al's.

Aquatic Technology is where I got my skimmer they sold me a Mag 7 for 59 dollars since I bought a skimmer from them normal price is like $68 I searched for months to get the best deal on my AquaMedic Turboflotor 1000 Multi Nobody could even come close to the price I got from these guys. Aquarium pumps, pond Pumps,Rio, Reeflo, Sequence, Eugene Danner, Supreme mag drive, Little Giant They have a very good DIY lighting selection as well Aquarium Lighting, reef aquarium lighting,Metal Halide lighting, IceCap A4 ballast, Power Compact, Compact Fluorescent, VHO Lighting

Alright, I've figured most everything out. Ready to order all the hardware as soon as things get rolling, except haven't made a decision on a skimmer yet.

Step 1 from here is building the stand - that I'm still hoping you'll help with and we can do at your place since I'm challenged in the on-hand tools area.

Work has been NUTS the past several weeks, but today I think I cleared the issues and can get my weekends back to myself. I'm out of town tomorrow, but next several weeks are open.

once the stand gets started, I can finalize my dimensions/plans for my sump and get that ordered. Lighting, pumps, test kits, etc, can be ordered any time once these other things get rolling.

Work is getting ready to get nuts for me. From now to the end of the month I will be going mad. We are moving into our new building, 100,000sq to the new 300,000sq building. I have to handle all the inventory changes between the two buildings. I'll probably be working 6 days a week for the rest of June.

I was serious when I said we could build the stand at my place. Figure out how large you want it to be and lets get a material list together. I have all the equipment needed.

Back
Top Bottom