Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2014, 11:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Zoo Plankton and cycling?

Hey folks.

I'm currently getting ready to cycle my 25 gallon saltwater tank. Upgrading from a nano 10 gallon hooray! My question is, can use some zoo Plankton I have and my love rock from the other tank to start my nitrogen cycle? I'm not sure if the Plankton will create amonia if unchecked by my coral that currently remain in the old tank. I'm just trying to get my cycle started so that when the lights heater and skimmer get here next week, I'll already have a head start. Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 06-21-2014, 11:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can I use*** my bad on the typo.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you're upgrading you can simply move all the old rock into the new tank along with all of the livestock. This should instantly cycle the tank. After that then just cure the new rock and once it's cured it's safe to add to the new tank without having to worry about a cycle.

As for using the zoo plankton as an ammonia source, I'd say probably not.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why does that instantly cycle it? I know how the nitrogen cycle works, but I'm just not sure how that would instantly cycle it. Still only 6 months into saltwater. Also, I would need to boil any NEW live rock?

Old 06-22-2014, 12:28 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Because if you add all the rock from the old tank it should have enough of a bb population on it to support the livestock already in the tank with it. It will not support additional livestock though so give it a month or 2 to let the new rock become live before adding any new livestock.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdogpatch06 View Post
Why does that instantly cycle it? I know how the nitrogen cycle works, but I'm just not sure how that would instantly cycle it. Still only 6 months into saltwater. Also, I would need to boil any NEW live rock?

Your entire bacterial load is on the live rock (assuming you don't run a filter) Cycling is really nothing but building up a bacterial load in your tank. If you transfer over all the rock carrying the beneficial bacteria then you wont have an ammonia spike as long as you aren't adding new stock at the same time.

Some of the bacteria will be found on the sand bed and could potentially cause a tiny ammonia spike but in my experience it's not a common thing as our beneficial bacteria will adjust very quickly. Just start off feeding small amounts every other day and keep an eye on ammonia. I would be surprised if you actually got a positive reading in a tank switch if done in this manner.

The new rocks won't need to be boiled but instead need to be soaked in a container of water so all the ammonia can leech off. Just make sure to use salt water if you're buying live rock as opposed to dry rock.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow thank you so much! I knew a lot of this already, but you put it in a way that was super easy for me to understand and connected all the dots for me, as I still did have a few questions. On that note, I do use a hob in conjunction with a skimmer. I've heard many different stories, but in your opinion, does a hob offer me any benefit? In my experience and research, I've learned that a skimmer essentially performs the same duties as a hob does in a freshwater, minus the bio filter it would provide in a freshwater. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I love my fish and want to know the correct things!

Old 06-22-2014, 07:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hob filters are nice for running chemical media or filter floss if you need it as well as oxygenating the water.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:09 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks guys! I've spent, literally, all day until now setting everything up, moving furniture etc. I'm having an issue with my protein skimmer stirring up my water and producing these micro bubble looking things. I've attached a picture. Not sure what the deal is. It's a sea clone 100. I have a 25 gallon tank. This lighting I have I'm not so use about either because of my Kenya tree corals. Point me in the right direction with all this stuff? Having the protein skimmer and the hob filter on back does seem like overkill as well bit maybe it's just me. Note the red coloring in the picture is my cameras doing. It's really all blue to the naked eye. Also not sure on powerhead placement. The cord for the lights going over the top of the hob filter also makes my ocd go nuts, although I'm not sure if it's actually dangerous or not. I know that's a lot in one post but I always appreciate your knowledge!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403499978010.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	241136   Click image for larger version

Name:	1403500056411.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	241137  

Name:	1403500087781.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	241138  
Old 06-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

New lighting courtesy of coral life.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1403567973197.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	241214  

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com