1.5 gallons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floop123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi! I know u r supposed to keep goldfish in a large tank, but mine is in a small tank. My readings are great except for an ammonia spike. I did a large water change like the pet store recommended. I also have one shrimp in there. I didn't know about cycling until I got the tank. Any suggestions?

Get a bigger tank. 1.5 gallon is too small for anything but snails. It's unkind to the fish. Larger tanks are not that expensive.

That's the reason your having ammonia spike coz your tank is too small and goldfish poops a lot. Get a bigger tank if you want to keep goldfish. Watch about cycling in youtube, there are great and easy to understand nitrogen cycle. If space is a problem get atleast 2.5g and betta. Again for 1.5g, only snails should be in it.

That's the reason your having ammonia spike coz your tank is too small and goldfish poops a lot. Get a bigger tank if you want to keep goldfish. Watch about cycling in youtube, there are great and easy to understand nitrogen cycle. If space is a problem get atleast 2.5g and betta. Again for 1.5g, only snails should be in it.
2.5 gal is still much too small

It maybe just enough as long as it's heated,filtered,planted and not in a bowl but ofcourse if space is not a concern i'd go bigger than 2.5g, i have 3.5g in my room at the moment.

2.5 or 3.5 are both still way to small. I would not put nano fish or even a Betta in less than a 10, like you living in a closet!

10 gallon tanks can be found really cheap ($15 at lfs, used to be 10), and used ones are fairly easy to find for free. I have 4 in my shed I've been given in the last year.

Back
Top Bottom