10g stock ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Currently cycling a 10g aquarium and trying to decide what to do. I don't want to do a nano tank since I already got a 20g that has cpd. Neons, pygmy Cory's and cherry shrimp. Have a couple of ideas and love to hear other suggestions

1. A betta and then move my 8 pygmy Cory's
2. A few african dwarf frogs and maybe a trio of guppies to supply them fry food.

3. Move my two dwarf puffers from my 5g and add a couple more. Then use my 5g for a betta and some snails.

Any feedback or suggestions would be great

I would move up the puffers and put a betta and and a few snails into the 5 gallon.

I also say move the puffers, they need 5g per puffer as far as i have read.
[I actually wanted to make a 10g puffer tank, bare bottom, couple of plants, DW , hiding rocks.]

Move the betta to the 5g with some snails and plants.

Yeah so I guess I move the puffers too a ten. Hopefully the next puffer I buy will be as friendly as my fist two

Personally i'd just stick with the 2 but its really up to you.

I agree just stick with 2 it's not worth adding a 3rd that might ruin the relationship if these 2 get along well plus puffers really do need 5 gallon each they really will enjoy the extra space.

2 in a 10g would be an awfully empty tank. They are so tiny. I know guides say 3 gallons each. Mine don't even have territories. Only dominance I see is first one I get eats first. I feed them with tweezers. After first one is done second one eats. Way over filtrate the tank and very diligent with water changes

2 in a 10g would be an awfully empty tank. They are so tiny. I know guides say 3 gallons each. Mine don't even have territories. Only dominance I see is first one I get eats first. I feed them with tweezers. After first one is done second one eats. Way over filtrate the tank and very diligent with water changes
Still only should be 2, all the guidelines of seen have said 2 in a ten.

Also it is necessary to over filtrate with dwarf puffers because they are so messy, hopefully Terrance will chime in cause he knows alot

I have a halfmoon betta and 5 corys in my 10gal. They get along fine as long as there are enough hiding spaces and you should put the corys in first then the betta. That way they stake out their respective territories. Betta does lots of huff-puffing but he doesn't hurt anyone...

Dwarf frogs are super cute, my gf has 2 at work. I think the guppy frog setup would be grand in a circle of life sorta thing...

But always go with whats best for the fish you already got ;)

Way over filtered in my 5 gallon for two puffers. Recommended 10x the capacity, and I have it at 20x capacity. Main reason dps need so much more space in relation to their size is their aggression. Since I got two that have zero aggression I don't see why in need to move them to a bigger tank unless I am missing something

Filtration is nice, but it does not help with the overall water pollution (fish waste). It just helps with collecting all the waste and less work during weekly water changes, and it also helps speed up the ammonia to nitrite to nitrate process.

It really does seem silly to many hobbyist that a dwarf would need so much water. No aggression is good and common for young DPs. Increase in aggression causes stress. Stress leads to disease and shorter life span.

I do not know of any hobbyist who have successfully kept DPs long-term (over ~2 years) with less than 5g per DP. Successful DP stories are usually having 5g per DP with little to no problems. You can push your luck with your current 2 and see what happens, but I think your chances are much better with dwarf shrimps like red cherry shrimps.

A mature 1" dwarf puffer will produce a lot of waste and its easy to see why 5g is required for those fish. Most DP at LFS in my area have been 0.5" or smaller.

How long do they take to mature. Have had the first one for 3mos

Back
Top Bottom