10g Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisjg04

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just set up a 10g tank which I am going to make a tropical community tank. This is my first real attempt at this sort of tank so well see how it goes.

Right now the tank is running with an already cycled filter, a new Marineland Pengiun 100 filter, Airstone, and Hydor heater set at 78.

I will be getting fish probably tomorrow and wanted to know what you guys thought about the stocking.

I am planning on:

6 neon tetras
Dwarf Gourami/Tiger Barb - is there any reason I cannot put these in the tank, or can I put more than one tiger barb as they are smaller.
4-6 ghost shrimp
1 snail

I did some research on a few websites, this seems like alot to me but other sites suggested even more for a 10g, is this overstocked at all?

hmm. not too sure. im just starting the same exact thing as my 2 goldies just died after 8 days. I figured that something a little cleaner ie. tropical fish might be a little easier. im interested to see what oher people think.

I currently have a 10g with 10 neon tetras (just found out 1 is missing :( ) and 1 golden algae eater. I have heard tiger barbs are aggressive and I would get a bristle nose algae eater because they're pretty small instead of a snail. shrimps seems cool, i might want to get some too :)

I had two goldies in a 10g and they got really messy and really ill, I upgraded then to a 29g now and am setting up that tank as the community tank.

Tonight I went ahead and got 6 neon tetras, a dwarf gourami, snail, and 6 ghost shrimp. We will see how this set up works out.

Chris-- running a cycled filter for a day or two won't cycle a tank completely (needs more like a week or two to get bacteria well established and in the substrate), so keep an eye out for ammonia/nitrite. You put rather a lot of fish in at once so it doesn't hurt to test daily until everything settles in.

:)

Yes I know its not completely cycled, but I leave back to school on Monday and wanted to get some fish in there before I left as I wont be home again for 2 months.

My mom understand all about the cycle and she will be taking care of it for me. I also got the aquaclear ammonia remover to see if it helps with the ammonia levels

Barbs need to be in bigger schools so you can't put a lot of barbs in a 10 gallon, so you shouldn't put them in a 10 gallon tank since you need more of them. Just stick with your tetras, get 2 dwarf gouramis, be careful with the shrimp though, all fish consider them a snack. Then you snail should be fine.

Tonight I went ahead and got 6 neon tetras, a dwarf gourami, snail, and 6 ghost shrimp. We will see how this set up works out.
IMO thats a nice stocking list for a 10g itself. NO tiger barbs. Like FishCrazy said they are schooling fish and a 10g isnt big enough for a school of them. And they are big time fin nippers.

Yea I'm keeping a close eye on the shrimp, if they do become a snack though it will only be a 20 cent snack.

Can that tank take 2 dwarf gouramis?

as long as the dwarf gouramis arent both males then yes. But i think 2 gouramis would really be pushin it IMO. I would just stick to 1

I was thinking one was fine, someone suggested two a few post up though and it threw me off.
you could get 2 but it would be pushin it as i said. i have been told that dwarf gouramis should have a 20g tank but IMO a 10g is fine. If FishCrazy says its ok then i would beleive him though. He is very knowledgable and has much experience altough he is a teen. so am i. Its what you know that matters here not age.

I am a teen also, but I am just starting to seriously get into this hobby and this is my first officially done right tropical community tank. I guess I will wait and see how the tank fairs and possibly add another gourami soon.

Back
Top Bottom