10g Tank Cycling: Ammonia not dropping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks! i tested distilled water using my API test kit, and the ammonia reads zero, this confirms the test kit is fine. nitrate still reads about 60ppm after couple pwc. Should the Nitrate be brought down close to zero before adding the fish? or is there a safe limit? thanks

Hi, yes some say trates should be 40 or less and others say 20 or less....I go by the 20 or less....

Yes, you want to drop your nitrates as low as possible before adding fish. Are there nitrates in your tap water? If there is, this will be the lowest number you will be able to drop them. Under 20ppm is suggested but as close to zero is ideal. Some people have 40ppm (or higher) of nitrates in their tap water so check to see what yours read. Glad your ammonia is zero!!

After about 40% WC daily for 5 days, Nitrate finally dropped to 20ppm. I've added 2 platties yesterday and they're happy so far :)
Planning to add couple more after 2 weeks, after carefully monitoring the water.

Thanks again for all your inputs.

Back
Top Bottom