10G with custom lighting - Photo Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azimuth

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, I got antsy waiting around for a decent 75G to show up on CL.
So I pulled a 10G out of my garage to play with for now.

I wanted to make this a planted tank so I started with ensuring I had decent lighting.

A trip to Lowes yielded a nice fixture that would hold 2 CFL bulbs.
This fixture should allow me to add higher wattage bulbs if needed

BuildingTheLight01%20%28Small%29.JPG
BuildingTheLight02%20%28Small%29.JPG

I had the old 15W light that came with the aquarium, so I decided to use the housing.

I removed the bulb and the fixture with ballast. I wanted to keep the switch on the light so I made sure I removed the circuit after the switch.
BuildingTheLight04%20%28Small%29.JPG

Here it is after I had filed down the fixture and made it fit inside the old housing.
Building%20the%20Light06%20%28Small%29.JPG

I thought about doing something like that but with a different type of bulb. Keep us informed I want to see how it works out for you.

I bought a big bag of pool filter sand to use as substrate and a new AquaClear 20 -thanks to Alaris and FishEggs for the recommendation.

AquaClear%2020%20%28Small%29.JPG

I added the pool filter sand and a small piece of drift wood I had from before.
Substrate01%20%28Small%29.JPG

You may want some kind of reflector behind the bulbs to get more light in the tank.

I think you are right. I am still waiting for the Liquid Nails that I used to affix the fixture to the housing to dry.

I will either add some kind of flexi mirror material or aluminum foil.

Aluminum Foil tends to scatter light in all directions rather than directing it into an aquarium. You'd actually be better off painting the interior white over using Aluminum Foil.

Here is the tank with the lights and plants. I still have not painted the inside of the light housing, that will probably happen tomorrow.
The water has not cleared up yet despite 2 hours of rinsing the pool filter sand.
I added some polishing media to the filter.
I still have to buy some micro sward and other carpet plants (hopefully tomorrow).
Then I need to decide if tiger barbs really are what I want in this tank.
I'm starting to lean away from them in favor of something that stays a little smaller.

090708Full%20%28Small%29.JPG

090708%20%28Small%29.JPG

Left Side
090708Left%20%28Small%29.JPG

Right Side
090708Right%20%28Small%29.JPG

Tiger barbs need to be in groups and they will out grow the tank, pick something else. The sand should clear in a day or two. Nice start!

i've used that paint on some plastic r/c truck rims and it really isn't that shiny. maybe some mylar sheeting although i dont know how heat resistant it is. i just polished up a piece of aluminum i had to make a reflector for the light i'm making.

Tiger barbs need to be in groups and they will out grow the tank, pick something else. The sand should clear in a day or two. Nice start!

Maybe some White Cloud Mountain Minnows and some Lemon Tetras.
The tank should already be cycled with the filter media I took from the 20G but I think I'll add just a single guppy for now and see how the ammonia levels look in a day or two.

I made a reflector for mine out of 44oz plastic cups, could have left it white but I decided to use alum reflective tape
img_899082_0_341b8af7f68e814e9ffd2ded7f1fcaae.jpg

i've used that paint on some plastic r/c truck rims and it really isn't that shiny. maybe some mylar sheeting although i dont know how heat resistant it is. i just polished up a piece of aluminum i had to make a reflector for the light i'm making.

Mylar would be bad. The lights get pretty warm.

Day 2

I added some micro sword -Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and Anubias (not sure which type)
Anyway.. on with the pictures. As you can see the tank is still very cloudy.
090808%20%28Small%29.JPG

090808Left%20%28Small%29.JPG

090808Right%20%28Small%29.JPG

Put some polyfiber (pillow stuffing) in your filter and it will help pull the sand/dust out.

Back
Top Bottom