20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would not place a Cichlid in your 20 gallon for two reasons: it would be too small for the typical Cichlid, and most Cichlids would eat your tetras (depending on the tetras) or at least nip at them a great deal.
As for a fish that could work in there, you might consider a Chinese Algae Eater (a great clean-up crew fish!), or a Corydoras. Cories are esentially tiny catfish and come in many varieties.
A large (relatively) fish which does not typically swim in the middle level of the tank would look best to accent the tetras already in the water, so I recommend the bottom-level fish, as top-level fish tend to want to school. If you gave me some details on the kind of tetras you have, I could give you some neat varieties of these fish which would match or accent!
Another sweet bottom-level fish would be a species of loach. These too come in many varieties and colors and clean up nicely, typically growing to abiout three inches.
If you are set on getting a Cichlid, Julie Cichlids are not particularly aggressive, and they match many species of Tetra.
As an alternative to fish, you could try a Red-Claw crab, which is very fun! You could also go with some Ramshorn or Apple snails. Both the crab and the snails will clean up your tank as an added bonus. Do not get a crab if your Tetras have long fins.

I would not place a Cichlid in your 20 gallon for two reasons: it would be too small for the typical Cichlid, and most Cichlids would eat your tetras (depending on the tetras) or at least nip at them a great deal.
As for a fish that could work in there, you might consider a Chinese Algae Eater (a great clean-up crew fish!), or a Corydoras. Cories are esentially tiny catfish and come in many varieties.
A large (relatively) fish which does not typically swim in the middle level of the tank would look best to accent the tetras already in the water, so I recommend the bottom-level fish, as top-level fish tend to want to school. If you gave me some details on the kind of tetras you have, I could give you some neat varieties of these fish which would match or accent!
Another sweet bottom-level fish would be a species of loach. These too come in many varieties and colors and clean up nicely, typically growing to abiout three inches.
If you are set on getting a Cichlid, Julie Cichlids are not particularly aggressive, and they match many species of Tetra.
As an alternative to fish, you could try a Red-Claw crab, which is very fun! You could also go with some Ramshorn or Apple snails. Both the crab and the snails will clean up your tank as an added bonus. Do not get a crab if your Tetras have long fins.
chinese algae eaters get huge,aggressive,and dont eat algae. red clawed crabs are brackish and neeed access to land. i dont know of any loach that tops out at 3 inches.dwarf cichlids are fine,rams,apistos,etc.and cories are schooling fish,a minimum of 4 is required,and 6 is preferred.

Don't black kuhli loaches (aka Java loaches or cinnamon loaches) stay at about 3-4 inches?

Ok I have 2 neons 3 Von rios and 3 blood fin I had more but had some die off but it's sense cleared up been bout 2 months stable, I just wante something slightly larger and more centerpiece fish

Ok I have 2 neons 3 Von rios and 3 blood fin I had more but had some die off but it's sense cleared up been bout 2 months stable, I just wante something slightly larger and more centerpiece fish
all of those should be in schools of at least 6,fill out the shcools and then you might be able to get a dwarf gourami or betta as a centerpiece.

Just wanted to add that Julidochromis (and other Tanganyikan cichlids) do not belong in a setup with tetras. Their preferred water parameters are very different.

I'd look into SA dwarf cichlids, specifically fish from the genera Microgeophagus, Apistogramma, Nannacara, or Laetacara.

Not exactly true. Rams and the Aspitogramma species are good choices.
Cories are a good choice, however I have to agree with alex, CAE's are not a good choice and will usually eat your fish rather than clean up your algae, not to mention they get way too large for a twenty gallon.
Most loaches get too big for a twenty gallon, with the exception of a khuli loach.
Like severum mama said, Julies have different water parameters, and in my opinion go better in an African cichlid tank...

I wrote in the red. With your tetras I would say get a DG, betta, or a ram, that's your best bet.

I have kept German blue rams and Bolivian rams in a 20g long with 8 neon tetras without problems. Other variants are Gold rams and Electric Blue rams. In a standard 20g I would just get one ram so there aren't territory fights.

I think you could also do some types of apistos, although I'm not positive.

Back
Top Bottom