.25 ammonia reading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erikmoseley

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is .25 ok? Tanks been cycled and had fish in it for 2 months. African cichlids. 8.0 ph, 0.0 nitrite, and 10 nitrate. Ammonia had been closer to zero. Doing PWC weekly and after last 2 has been .25

Is .25 ok? Tanks been cycled and had fish in it for 2 months. African cichlids. 8.0 ph, 0.0 nitrite, and 10 nitrate. Ammonia had been closer to zero. Doing PWC weekly and after last 2 has been .25

What size tank? How stocked is it and how much are you feeding. A cycled tank shouldn't have ammonia IMHO.

My tank is cycled and always tests 0 ammonia and about 10 nitrAtes.

I feed once a day and so weekly 20-25% water changes. Once a month I do a 50% water change.

Anyway... You shouldn't be seeing ammonia.

What size tank? How stocked is it and how much are you feeding. A cycled tank shouldn't have ammonia IMHO.

My tank is cycled and always tests 0 ammonia and about 10 nitrAtes.

I feed once a day and so weekly 20-25% water changes. Once a month I do a 50% water change.

Anyway... You shouldn't be seeing ammonia.

72 gall. About 23 two inch fish. Doing 20-25% weekly. I feed twice daily and nothing lasts more than a minute so I don't think I'm feeding too much?

To give you an idea. I have probably 35+ on my 75 gallon, running 2 AC110's and weekly water changes.

0 ammonia
0 nitrites
10 nitrAtes
8.0 pH

Feed once a day.

To give you an idea. I have probably 35+ on my 75 gallon, running 2 AC110's and weekly water changes.

0 ammonia
0 nitrites
10 nitrAtes
8.0 pH

Feed once a day.

Filtration is only AC 50 and penguin 350. 550 gph between two and I have a sponge filter as well. I thought that was adequate but I know more is better! It kinda moot anyways as I'm supposed to get fluval fx5 tomorrow i found on craigslist but we are in the midst of 20 more inches of snow so that'll have to wait till during the week and set up. Thanks for your advice. Ill change water couple times this week and feed once.

Lemme know how you the fx5. I hated mine and got rid of it. I run 2 AC110's and I'm very happy with them.

Not saying the fx5 is bad, I just had a bad experience with it.

Lemme know how you the fx5. I hated mine and got rid of it. I run 2 AC110's and I'm very happy with them.

Not saying the fx5 is bad, I just had a bad experience with it.

Did it not keep water nice? Or was it just defective? I like the 110 a lot u use. I just don't have the clearance now to fit it on since tanks full! I am torn w the fx5 and the 406 canister. I have visions of 125 gal so thought fx5 would be a good investment

Did it not keep water nice? Or was it just defective? I like the 110 a lot u use. I just don't have the clearance now to fit it on since tanks full! I am torn w the fx5 and the 406 canister. I have visions of 125 gal so thought fx5 would be a good investment

Well, again it was just my experience with it. I didn't like the cleaning of it. It was a pain IMO, heavy etc... I'm in an apartment so the wife wasn't happy about cleaning in the tub.

Also the knobs that seal it kept stripping IMO a poor design. They did however replace all of them free. They mailed them. Also it kept seizing up and making loud humming noises where I'd have to unplug it for a few seconds and plug it back in. Wasn't happy. Took it apart 3x's to clean impeller and that didn't help either.

I always ran a AC110 with the fx5 anyway.

Also I noticed when is do a water change and NOT clean the canister because why would you clean a canister every week right? You wouldn't!

Well.... Turn everything off. Do a 25% water change. Turn everything back on and bam! It was like the canister threw up in my tank!!

I was so heated after just doing a water change.

I got fed up and took it out, out another AC110 on the other side and that's that...

Couldn't be happier and my water is pristine IMO :)

I won't post a pic of my tank lol you've probably seen it before but a video is in my sig.

Again this is one experience with the fx5. I just didn't like it. I also like the ease of changing out different media on the fly with the AC's. It's so much easier.

In the end I guess it's, to each there own. Some people love'em I found them to be not my cup of tea.

Don't base your decision on my story though lol. Maybe it was just me or a bad unit.

Good luck.

Well, again it was just my experience with it. I didn't like the cleaning of it. It was a pain IMO, heavy etc... I'm in an apartment so the wife wasn't happy about cleaning in the tub.

Also the knobs that seal it kept stripping IMO a poor design. They did however replace all of them free. They mailed them. Also it kept seizing up and making loud humming noises where I'd have to unplug it for a few seconds and plug it back in. Wasn't happy. Took it apart 3x's to clean impeller and that didn't help either.

I always ran a AC110 with the fx5 anyway.

Also I noticed when is do a water change and NOT clean the canister because why would you clean a canister every week right? You wouldn't!

Well.... Turn everything off. Do a 25% water change. Turn everything back on and bam! It was like the canister threw up in my tank!!

I was so heated after just doing a water change.

I got fed up and took it out, out another AC110 on the other side and that's that...

Couldn't be happier and my water is pristine IMO :)

I won't post a pic of my tank lol you've probably seen it before but a video is in my sig.

Again this is one experience with the fx5. I just didn't like it. I also like the ease of changing out different media on the fly with the AC's. It's so much easier.

In the end I guess it's, to each there own. Some people love'em I found them to be not my cup of tea.

Don't base your decision on my story though lol. Maybe it was just me or a bad unit.

Good luck.

Thanks for writing all that!

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia? The tap water I use has about 1 ppm ammonia and 5ppm nitrate whenever I test it, makes it really tough to get nitrates down :p

I usually have detectable ammonia levels after a large water change. This can be caused by ammonia in your tap (possible) or by chloramine added by water treatment facilities with municipal water.

Tested tap and its at .25 ppm just like tank. Any suggestions? In one filter I have an ammo remover bag but that's it

As I said, chloramines are often detectable by ammonia test kits. Thankfully, a quality water conditioner like Seachem Prime will also neutralize ammonia, so your situation very manageable.

As I said, chloramines are often detectable by ammonia test kits. Thankfully, a quality water conditioner like Seachem Prime will also neutralize ammonia, so your situation very manageable.

Thanks. I use prime at each PWC and am now feeding less. Hope those work

Back
Top Bottom