250 gal stock list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CA_BroncoFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I think I've narrowed down the species I want to go into the tank. First ill have to move my existing fish in there but I may be able to give some away but ill include them in the list anyways. Afterall this is my rough draft list. Haha

For my carry overs I have:
5-gold barbs
5-black skirts
4-white skirts
5-zebra danios
2-kribensis
1-blood parrot/firemouth hybrid
I may be getting rid of the skirts and danios

Thoughts for new additions:
7-tiger barbs
3-flag (aka festivums)
2-blood parrots (it'll be 3 total then, my hybrid, red, and multi)
2-german rams
2-keyhole's (maybe 4)
1-gold severum
1-blue acara
1-firemouth

A bunch of peppered corys or others that catch my eye.
Need suggestions on loaches.

that's where I'm at right now. Like any saine husband ill have to run some pics by the wife, but she'll have no objections. Lemmie know what you think!

Last edited:
Go with Boesmani Rainbows! They will surely liven up the tank (not that it isn't already with the Zebra Danios lol).

HAHA, thats how I described them to my fiance. I told her they had A.D.D possibly A.D.H.D.

Boesemani Rainbows would give you a nice splash of blue and yellow in your tank.

HAHA, thats how I described them to my fiance. I told her they had A.D.D possibly A.D.H.D.

Boesemani Rainbows would give you a nice splash of blue and yellow in your tank.

Those guys are livebearers aren't they? I wonder how they'd do in a tank with some SA cichlids

I wouldn't mix the Rams with the the other cichlids you have listed. Rams are not very aggressive and you could end up losing them. They are better suited with the danios, tetras and other gentler fish.

Wow I didn't know A1 was on the african train. What is it about these guys that make such a following? Is it color alone or what :confused:

Dragon: everything I've read about the rams suggests they'd be ok, what am I missing? Should I look at bolivians or just scratch them altogeather?

it is somewhat because of the coloring, but for me, its because of their personality. Mine come up and greet me as i walk by the tank, every one literally jumps out of the water during feeding time, and no other fish i've had interact with each other quite like my mbuna do. Nothing wrong at all with your stocking choice though, its all about what makes YOU happy (unless you're doing something wrong ;))

I know from my experience with keeping rams (german blues and golds) they were very mellow. They also died for no darn reason. We could not keep them alive. LFS tested our water so many times and nothing was wrong. But I digress. I have a pair of Firemouths that I had to move to a 29g because they are beating up the jack dempseys and jewels. So knowing what I've had with both the rams and firemouths, I really think you'd be asking for trouble.

it is somewhat because of the coloring, but for me, its because of their personality. Mine come up and greet me as i walk by the tank, every one literally jumps out of the water during feeding time, and no other fish i've had interact with each other quite like my mbuna do. Nothing wrong at all with your stocking choice though, its all about what makes YOU happy (unless you're doing something wrong ;))

Hmmm....ok I gotcha. I was just checking to make sure I wasn't missing something else cuz they do have some sweet coloring. My blood parrot greets me too but not out of the water at feeding that's crazy. Haha well maybe after this is set up ill convince the wife to do a more colorful set up with mbuna's. Thanks for the insight though (you too A1)

I know from my experience with keeping rams (german blues and golds) they were very mellow. They also died for no darn reason. We could not keep them alive. LFS tested our water so many times and nothing was wrong. But I digress. I have a pair of Firemouths that I had to move to a 29g because they are beating up the jack dempseys and jewels. So knowing what I've had with both the rams and firemouths, I really think you'd be asking for trouble.

Ok I hear ya. I do know they like the established older water and have been know to die for no darn reason. Maybe ill look into them for my 20 long.

Dont worry CA, i am not on this crazy train either. I find that SA cichlids are just as much personality as africans, lol. I love my festivum. I would stay clear of the gold severum as of the plant eating it does. I would also stay clear of the blue acara as some small fish might be a danger. I would also feel uncomfartble with the rams as there sensitive and you are mixing some sketchy fish when it comes to aggression. There not neccessarly too agressive but they are no community fish.

Dont worry CA, i am not on this crazy train either. I find that SA cichlids are just as much personality as africans, lol. I love my festivum. I would stay clear of the gold severum as of the plant eating it does. I would also stay clear of the blue acara as some small fish might be a danger. I would also feel uncomfartble with the rams as there sensitive and you are mixing some sketchy fish when it comes to aggression. There not neccessarly too agressive but they are no community fish.

Sweet!! someone to ride in my car on my crazy train!! ok so will the gold still do damage to fake plants, and if i scratch him should i get another festivum? Im really digging the blue acara and what i was thinking is i could go with my smaller fish like the barbs (the only real small fish ill have in there) and allow them time to get bigger like around 3" and then throw in the blue acara as a juvenile. What do you think? Also im thinking about not going with the rams as i can put them in my 20 gal long.

Heck ya, lots of studies show that festivums do better in pairs/groups. I would be scared to house the blue acara because they get around 8 inches and everything i read says that they can be aggressive towards smaller fish. I would fear for the tetras and danios with it. I would suggest maybe giant danios but the small zebras might be in danger. The barbs i imagine to be fine. And no, the gold severum will not try to eat the plastic plants. He would take 1 small bite and he would regret it and not do it again. lol.

haha, im trying and hopefully ill have success but id like to give my danios and skirts to my father inlaw so well see. I think the acara will be the last addition because of their aggressive nature toward smaller fish. we shall see though.

Ya, i would do that. If you get rid of the skirts/danios i would probably do it. So what is your current planned stock list then? Because depending how much is in it i might suggest doing a small school of giant danios.

Back
Top Bottom