29 gallon cycling log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drucifer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Call me a copycat! I deserve it! :D

Anyway, here goes: I set the tank up about a week and a half ago. After 1 week, I decided to go with a bigger filter (Whisper power 30-60). I've been running that filter since last Friday (5/25). Also added a Brazilian Sword at the same time. I've been chugging along since, but only today did I add some seed material. My lfs wouldn't give up some filter media (may try another later), but they did part with about 2.5 pounds of dirty gravel (score! :p ). Last week, I purchased the API master kit (had been using the quick-dip sticks)...also have been using plain-ole ammonia, no surfactants, etc. Here's the data I've collected thus far:

Using quick-dip sticks:
5/25: Nitrate/Nitrite - 0, pH 8.1, Amm 3

5/29: Nitrate 10, Nitrite .5 (not so sure of the accuracy of these 2), pH 7.2, Amm 4.5 (had added a bit)

5/30: Nitrate 10, Nitrite .75 (see above), pH 7.8, Amm 8 (added too much), PWC ~66%, bought the API master kit

Using API master kit:
5/30: Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, pH 7.6, amm 1, added approx 4 tsp amm

5/31 first thing in A.M.: amm @ 4ppm

5/31 late P.M.: Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, pH 7.2, amm 3

6/4: Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, pH 7.6, amm 1.5

6/5: Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, pH 7.6, amm 1

OK, can someone remind me what the appropriate maintenance level the ammonia should be for fishless cycling?

Thanks!

I went to a different shop this afternoon. As it turns out, they were ready to change the media in one of their cichlid tanks, so they gave me a large piece of the old stuff, maybe 8x24. The white stuff. Anyway, this thing was absolutely FILTHY! I squished it around inside my tank and made it look like poop soup! Then, I cut it in half and folded each piece and put one in front of both pieces already in my filter. I should be in business fairly quickly, but only more testing will tell.

Tested this morning, about 16 hours after adding the seeded media and dosing up to 4 ppm ammonia:

Ammonia: 2
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 2.5
pH: 7

Also, I failed to mention that when I added the seeded gravel, I also added a small potted bunch of dwarf hairgrass, and left the foam attached.

I think I may have been mistaken on that last ammonia reading...it was most likely closer to 4. It can be hard to tell sometimes I reckon, especially when taking my impatience into consideration. :lol:

Anyway, it was down to 2 this morning, no nitrites. I'll check 'er again tomorrow.

Change 75-80% of the water and get the number down to 1 or less then one.

With a number that high your waiting for a LOT of bacteria to develope for conversion.There simply is no need for that or the wait that will come along with it.There is ZERO upside for having that number that high right now imo.

These guys somehow weasled their way in:
physa_acuta_top.jpg

I've counted 4, but I'd wager there are more.

WIthout a doubt, you are closing in on the end of your cycle. That is the part that is always the most frustrating. Hang in there.

What you have there is a common pond snail. You can thank that plants you put in the tank. They will not be a problem as long as you don't over feed. I actually like having them along with some ramshorn snails. Everybody has their place and these guys help clean up some of the stuff you don't want to look at.

I hope so, though it's only been a week since I seeded.

By the way, at least 19 snails at last count. :crazyeyes:

Found what appears to be a dark brown Malayan livebearer trapped in one of the bags of seed substrate. He's free now, and seems to be happy about it.

I think I may have been closer to above 5 ppm ammonia, and it wasn't dropping off. Did a PWC and brought it down to around 2. I checked for nitrites, suspicious that I would get a reading of zero, considering the lack of drop in ammonia. My suspicions were correct, no nitrites.

EDIT:

By the way, I have a large decoration that I'm considering removing. Any harm in doing so, giving it a good shake prior to actual removal?

Removed the extremely bulky decor (bulky enough to severely disrupt circulation:(), and replaced with some slate and granite.

Some time last week I added a power head to the mix with one of those cube-like sponge intake filters. It's the one with the oscillating outlet, and it's pretty cool.

The only change since doing all of the above was a jump in ammonia level, from ~2.5 or 3 up to just below 5 ppm. I did a PWC this morning to bring it back down to around 2 or 3.

Still no nitrites. :x

EDIT:
Forgot to add that I took out the filter media and squished it around in the tank to hopefully populate the new surfaces.

Well I'll add a few thoughts:

Get the number to one or less...in all honesty if it were my tank I'd get it to around .25.

Then do this-I've been chugging along since, but only today did I add some seed material. My lfs wouldn't give up some filter media (may try another later)

When starting a tank with seeded material it usually goes like this....
Fill the tank,declorinate and spend a day making sure the temp is straight.Add seeded material and add a few fish.The numbers stay very low in this case and the ammonia and nitrites spikes are hardly noticable, if at all.

Right now your ammonia is to high imo.Not to high for fishless cycling but to high to expect a small amount of seeded material to convert it any time soon....which is the point of adding it in the first place.

I aslo wonder how "seeded" your material was or is.If you can get some more from another store I would.Keep it wet in declorinated water during transport.

Anyhow..thats how I'd do it....get the number WAY down and reseed.

Best of luck.

OK, I've done a PWC and it's down to 1ppm. Because I'm attempting to cycle fishlessly (not even a word, probably :D), I won't be adding any fish til I can process about 1ppm in 16-24 hrs.

Back
Top Bottom