29 gallon freshwater stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevan07

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

As some of you have probably seen from previous posts I have been in the process of cycling my 29 gallon tank for awhile. It started out with platys who were sick but the ammonia would never rise. Well, long story short last week the last platy died (some sort of either fungal or bacteria infection, no idea what it was but he is dead now). So yesterday I went to Ace to get a bottle of pure ammonia as well as to look at different fish stores in the area to get an idea of what they normally stock and who has nice fish.

So I started the cycle (again) yesterday, which obviously means no fish for quite some time (I figure though I have been waiting 2 years and few more months really isn't going to make a difference, although I would love to have a few fish by April 11th but we shall have to see how this cycle goes).

After looking at the fish stores I have come to the conclusion that it is next to impossible to get a healthy livebearer in this metropolis so I want to stock my tank with non-live bearers.

My tank pH is 8.4 which I know is high but I have been doing a lot of research and it seems that as long as you acclimate the fish properly (some tips on this would be much appreciated) most fish can adapt and do just fine as long as they aren't super sensitive (I don't want super sensitive or expensive so this should not be a problem). It also has an Aqua Clear 50 filter.

That being said I know I want at least 6 cory cat fish in my tank (probably one of the spotted varietys although I could settle for pandas). As long as I do weekly water changes will they be okay in 8.4 pH?

The requirements for the tank are:
1). Nice school(s) of fish (we have decided against a center piece fish)
2). Preferabley active (I have a betta tank and although he is a lovely fish he really doesn't do much, I would love to have a tank where the fish actually play)
3). Colorful (I know that isn't too likely in a freshwater tank, but basically not all black and white fish)
4). Fish no more then $6 each
5). No angelfish (I saw some adults yesterday and my goodness, supposidly they can go in a 29 gallon but eh if I was them I would want a bigger tank)
6). No fish that looks like an eel/snake

Now my question is what else can I add/would go well in the tank with a school of cory cats?
After looking at the local fish stores I really like the following (I know some of them aren't compatible but this is just to show what I like, I was hoping people with more experience could point me in the right direction of which ones and how many would look nice together).

- Rummynose Tetras
- Cardinal Tetras (I like the neons too but they are bit more expensive and since I would need about 8 for them to be happy I think I would rather stick with the cheaper option, also will they be okay in 8.4 pH?)
- Tiger Barbs (Yes, I know my options here are pretty limited since they are so nippy but if anyone has a suggestion on keeping them that would be awesome. Otherwise no worries and we can go with a different option)
- Black Skirt Tetra
- Cherry Barb
- Rams (pretty but I know nothing about them and I have a ton of plants and driftwood in my tank and don't want to change the decor so I am thinking they are out)

Now my husband on the other hand thought the "electric blue" crab was awesome as well as the ghost shrimp. These I know nothing about so not sure if they would work with any of the above fish or not. Lastly he also liked the Denison Barbs (which I know are waaaay to big for a 29 gallon tank) but is there anything like them just on a much smaller scale that would fit?

So based on all of that (yes, it is insanely long I am sorry) what do you all think? Will any of it work or what will work? Or do you have other fish suggestions that might be better given my situation?

Thank you in advance for all your input! :)

Sa/Ca cichlids. Most do well in communities with the exception of convicts

That is about what I was thinking. I know cichlids also love to destroy plants and decorations and I would rather that stay in tack, not to mention they would be entirely too big.

Does anyone know if you can successfully keep Rummynose Tetras and/or Cardinal Tetras in a pH of 8.4 and hard water? I was doing a bunch of research on it and it seems like they pretty much consistantly die in hard water. Is this just people having a bad experience or are they just one of those fish that must have soft water otherwise they perish?

I don't know about the pH specifically, but I do know that Rummynose Tetras do best in an "established" tank. That leads me to believe that as long as they're acclimated slowly (look into drip acclimation), the tank has been running for a while, and the water parameters are above all consistent and stable, they should be fine.

As far as other fish suggestions go, I think a community tank with a couple different varieties of tetras would work well based on your picks above. They'd also coexist well with the corydoras you're planning on having.

Some of my favourites:
Bleeding Heart Tetras
Diamond Tetras
Red or Black Phantom Tetras
Von Rio Flame Tetras
Lemon Tetras
Kerri Tetras

You also have the option of using driftwood and/or peat to lower your pH, if that's something that concerns you. Unfortunately I know little about the process and you'd be better off asking someone else. I know there are people here who could help you with that!

Thank you so much for the suggestions. :) I actually have added/have driftwood in the tank. The problem is my water is pretty hard so it has such a high buffering capacity that the only real way to lower the pH is by mixing tap water with either R/O water or (supposidly) distilled water. Either way I see that as being a huge undertaking every week (and even more if something happens and I need to do more water changes). That being said that is why I am trying to see what the thoughts are on these tetras to make sure they will be able to adapt.

I really love the rummynose tetras but after 3 hours of reading about them last night the information is pretty much all over the place. Seems like most people are saying they need soft water and if your water is not soft then they will die. Meanwhile another person keeps them in his tank with a pH of 8.2 and they are fine. Then there is the whole debate on how to acclimate them, some people saying the drip does a fabulous job and others saying it won't matter with hard water and they will still die. Argh and this would be why I am so darn confused. I am seriously thinking about trying it (obviously they will be the last edition to the tank) and then seeing what happens and how they fair since it doesn't seem like there is any definitive answer and it really depends on the fish keeper, the fish themselves, and heaven only knows what else. lol

I like all of your suggestions for other tetra tank mates. Do you happen to know which ones on that list are the hardiest? I am just thinking if I do get Rummynose and Cardinal tetras with them being so touchy it might be good to pick something a bit difficult to mess up as the initial starter fish once the tank is cycled (I suppose I could also add the corys first but not sure how well that would work).

Thank you for all the input thus far.

I believe I've read that Lemons and Bleeding Hearts are pretty hardy. I've actually got a high-ish pH myself (usually hovers between 7.8 and 8.0) and was really concerned because most tetras are said to prefer softer water - I'm setting up a community tank. Several people here have reassured me that I should be fine so long as I acclimate slowly and the pH stays stable above all else. Having a steady pH, I'm told, is more important than having the optimal numbers.

My cycle's almost completed and I should be adding fish within a week or so. Fairly sure I'm starting with Bleeding Hearts, so I'll let you know how that goes.

You might benefit from starting a thread in the general freshwater section concerning your pH specifically. I'm willing to bet you'd get more responses.

Oooh well be sure and let me know how everything goes and how you acclimate them. It is nice to know I am not the only one with unsutiable pH.

What are you planning on stocking in your tank?

Based on all the information I am thinking about a stocking scheme like the following:

- 10 Flame Tetras (I like how these supposidly are even listed as pH up to 8.0)
- 6 Cory Cats (possibly 1 more to make it 7, we will see)
- 8 Cardinal Tetras
- 7 Rummynose Tetras

I am thinking of adding them in that order. Although even with a fishless cycle is 10 fish all at once too many... not sure but my fish store is an hour away so it would nice to not have to make so many trips, however, the odds of them having 10 of anything seems a bit optimistic too so I guess we shall see.

I am not sure though on who should be last, the cardinals or the rummynoses since they seem to both be delicate... Also if these end up not working out/I can get them acclimated properly to the higher pH I plan to switch them out eventually with something hardier (not to sure what at the moment).

Also depending on what the fish store has I might get Lemon Tetras instead of Flames. If I did that I would only get 8 of them.

What do you think?

I've got a 35g and I'm planning on stocking the following:
6 Bleeding Heart Tetras
6 Diamond Tetras
6 Corydoras (hoping to get Orange/Green Lasers or Juliis)
1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco

I'll definitely let you know how things go once I start adding fish!

Your stock list as is would probably leave you a little overstocked, in my opinion. I would say it'd be fine if you added another filter and would be willing to do the maintenance on it. Otherwise, you might consider dropping one of the schools and slightly upping the number of smaller fish.

For example, you could keep the following:
6 Corydoras
10 Flame Tetras
10 Rummynose/Cardinal Tetras

Or, if you want to keep your variety:
6 Corydoras
6 Flame Tetras
6 Cardinal Tetras
6 Rummynose Tetras

I do think schooling fish look better in large groups, though.

Have you tried playing around on AqAdvisor? It's by no means a perfect tool, but it's a good place to start.

I did. That is actually how I came up with those stocking numbers. According to aquadvisor stocking the above in my tank with an Aqua Clear 50 filter would be 89% for the stock level and 103% for filter capacity. 31% weekly water change.

It do agree though that it seems like a large number of fish. However, at the same time the fish I have kept previously have always been either big or had a big bioload (platys, swordtails, tiger barbs, etc.) so I have always had a small number of fish.

I could lower the flame tetra school too I suppose. The only reason I had it at 10 in the first place was because the one site that I was reading about them on said they did best in groups of 10 or more.

I honestly have no idea...

Really? When I run your stocking plan and an AquaClear 50 in a 29 gallon tank, I get the following:
Warning: You should add more aquarium filtration capacity.
Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 92%.
Recommended water change schedule: 37% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 117%.

Which option are you using? Technically Aquarium Advisor doesn't have my tank in their dropdown. What they have is a really tall square version of a 29 gallon (or I just noticed, technically the 29 gallon high comes out basically the same dimensions too) and then a 30 gallon. The dimensions of my tank are: L:30in, D:12in, and H: 18.5in

Here is a screenshot of what it keeps showing me: http://www.petzisland.simplesuccess.us/sig/FishTankStock.gif

Maybe I am just filling it out wrong? Or is my browser just being weird and maybe not sending all the information I am inputting? I really don't want to over stock the tank, especially with cardinals and rummynose already being picky with their water.

Okay. :) So is this going to be overstocked? Is aquadvisor just playing silly games on my computer? I am just confused why it is telling us two different things (which will make a huge difference on the fish).

You can put in custom dimensions.

I had been putting in Peppered Cories as they're the most common variety around here, as opposed to the False Juliis that you were choosing. That's apparently what accounts for the difference. :)

Either way, it's always better to understock than to overstock.

Oooh. That is still strange though since they are still both corys. At least now we know why. :) Thank you. I agree understocked is most certainly better then overstocked, hence why I was concerned.

Haha now that I know that I think I am going to play with the settings and keep changing the variety of corys and see how that affects things so I don't accidentally end up with ones that get too big.

Sorry it jump in but can someone please give me details about this stocking advisor it sounds interesting.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Basically you type in your tank dimensions, select your filter and then select the fish from the left side that you want in your tank, type how many and then add them to the right side. At the bottum of the page it will then give you an idea of if those fish are compatible (although it is always good to research each fish just to be sure), how many will fit in the tank, if your filter can handle it, pH and temperature ranges for your selected fish.

It doesn't know everything but it is a good starting point. :)

EDIT: Whoops just saw your previous post. Please disregard.

Basically you type in your tank dimensions, select your filter and then select the fish from the left side that you want in your tank, type how many and then add them to the right side. At the bottum of the page it will then give you an idea of if those fish are compatible (although it is always good to research each fish just to be sure), how many will fit in the tank, if your filter can handle it, pH and temperature ranges for your selected fish.

It doesn't know everything but it is a good starting point. :)

EDIT: Whoops just saw your previous post. Please disregard.

Thanks kevan sorry to have wasted your time.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom