29 gallon possibilities....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok...mts has hit me bad. I saw on craigslist in my local area where someone has a 29g with hood, heater, filters, etc. for sale and they only want $50 for the whole set up. I might be going to take a look at it and possibly buy it tomorrow. Now said....I am trying to figure out what I want to put in it. My entire family has been crowding into my home office to watch these adorable shrimp, so I am thinking of maybe doing another red cherry shrimp tank and putting it in the kitchen (as I mentioned in a previous thread....the cabinet builder said it would hold a 30-40 gallong with no problem). The only thing is....I would love to have some options on fish for it. I have been looking into ottos and they sound great, but I am nervous as it sounds like if you can get them to survive the first month home you're doing good. Since I am so new to this, I hate to get a fish that is so "sensitive" so to speak.
Let me gets lots of feedback here.....what would you put in a 29g planted tank? Give me numbers of fish too.....thanks in advance! :cool:

Get a school of smaller fish, theres many options.

I would not worry about shrimp well as far as making shrimp only tanks, since here soon you should have plenty and you can try to add them to all your tanks. In some of the tanks it may not work out well but others it should if there is lots of plants

My 29g is going to consist of
5 glass catfish
5 harlequin rasboras
5 gold barbs if I can find them locally, if not I might try neon tetras, again, in their place
3-4 otos

My 29g is going to consist of
5 glass catfish
5 harlequin rasboras
5 gold barbs if I can find them locally, if not I might try neon tetras, again, in their place
3-4 otos

I didn't think I would be able to put that many in a 29g....cool. My research starts since I have lots of time to wait....I guess I should have added...I really prefer peaceful fish and nothing too aggressive. ;)

I tend to push the limit of over stocking. Full grown inches for all those will be right about 36-37, assuming all 4 otos make it. With the neon tetras instead of gold barbs, inches of fish, full grown, would be more like 32". The only way I justify keeping that many fish is because I'm really, really good about weekly water changes. I've only missed 2 in 6 years of keeping fish.

I tend to push the limit of over stocking. Full grown inches for all those will be right about 36-37, assuming all 4 otos make it. With the neon tetras instead of gold barbs, inches of fish, full grown, would be more like 32". The only way I justify keeping that many fish is because I'm really, really good about weekly water changes. I've only missed 2 in 6 years of keeping fish.

Wow....I am so new to this....only about 3 months into it, but it is addicting and I am very on top of my maintenance. I do weekly 20-30% changes on all of my tanks (even the small 2-2.5 gallon ones). Hopefully, in six years I will still be doing that good!
So, are the fish you mentioned nonaggressive types (I know ottos aren't aggressive, but how about the others)?

Oh and those fish are all peaceful, including the gold barbs.

In my 10g I'd adding white cloud mountain minnows. They are very cool. Super active and they tend to fan out their fins and the tips are gold.

Other peaceful fish I like and thought about adding were xray pristella tetras, silver tipped tetras, glowlight tetras, black neon tetras, blue tetras, purple passion danios, sparkling gourami (1), american flagfish (1), or dwarf neon rainbows.

I also can't say enough about zebra danios, very active. They are great fun to watch. I'm torn about adding those in place of the barbs/neons.... But I kinda want to try something new.

And even when you've been at it for a while you'll still be learning stuff. Right now, I'm working on the whole fishless cycle.

And even when you've been at it for a while you'll still be learning stuff. Right now, I'm working on the whole fishless cycle.

I am sure about that....and this forum is exactly where I learned the fishless cycle method. I have successfully completed it now and that is an accomplishment in itself for me...

Ok, I'm really gonna have to ask:

1) what in the world does MTS stand for? I just really can't figure it out. LOL. I'm so not a Mensa candidate.

2) what is the whole shrimp attraction? I've been trying to figure it out, but it really is beyond my grasp. Is it one of those "once you own them you'll understand" kinda things? Are they really funny? And why are Red Cherry Shrimp so popular?

Signed: a newbie :)

P.S. don't mean to hijack your post at all....

P.S.S. Just figured out what MTS stood for :p LOL! I already have it and didn't even know it!

1) what in the world does MTS stand for? I just really can't figure it out. LOL. I'm so not a Mensa candidate.

2) what is the whole shrimp attraction? I've been trying to figure it out, but it really is beyond my grasp. Is it one of those "once you own them you'll understand" kinda things? Are they really funny? And why are Red Cherry Shrimp so popular?

P.S.S. Just figured out what MTS stood for :p LOL! I already have it and didn't even know it!
lol i have the same 2 questions lol

lol thanks. im setting up my first tank 8 days in now. 29g but when trying to figure out the fish i want in it i already know i want a much much bigger tank

p.s sorry for hijack =)

If you looking for easy to find fish, like local to you, then your going to have limited possibilities.

But 6-8 Pseudomugil Furcatus would be cool
even a pair of GBR's or even 3
or Cherry barbs, tetras, even some livebearers

Ok - you got the MTS figured out on your own...don't have to answer that one (I had to ask at first myself....lol).
I don't know how to describe the whole shrimp thing. As a teenager, when my brother and I had our first SW aquarium (and didn't know what the heck we were doing), I just knew I LOVED aquariums, we were able to catch shrimp and put in the tank. I just loved watching the shrimp. They are just fun little critters to watch. These red cherry shrimp are just so small and pretty and fun to watch! It might be one of those "once you have them, you'll see what I mean" things. Try it...you may like it. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom