2nd cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksimmons8001

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon tank with a 700 Cascade filter. The tank was originally cycled 3 years ago and has been maintained since. I chose to go from tropical to cold water. I removed the fish and gave them to a friend. I threw everything else out except the Cascade 700 which I rinsed in cold water from the sink. ( We have well water with a tap pH of 6 and no chlorine added). And also kept the 29 gallon tank. I added pool filter sand as a substrate and 5 plants ( 3 anubias and 2 Java ferns). My initial water test (API Freshwater Master Test Kit) after filling was pH off of the low scale side, ammonia and nitrite at 0 and nitrate at 5 ppm. Our well water here is very acidic as it is a shallow well with pine trees all around. I started a fishless cycle by adding ammonia at the rate of 4 ppm. On average, how long have you guys experienced the secondary cycle last? I remember at the beginning 3 years ago my initial cycle was 34 days. This time around I am seeing the nitrates immediately, but at a small rate.

If your filter didn't dry out and you have kept it fed the cycle should be immediate. Maybe a week at most. But your pH being so low may slow it way down or stop it. Maybe a small bag of crushed coral in your filter would help bring it up?

It did dry out for the most part. I had it sitting on the counter as I cleaned the aquarium and moved everything upstairs. I went ahead and dosed it with ammonia and also added a bag of crushed coral to the top tray in the filter. I also bumped the heat up to 85 degrees. Thanks for the input.

It is definitely a patience game. I have stopped testing daily for everything and am only watching the ammonia right now. I check the other items every 3 days or so until the ammonia starts dropping.

If the sponge and media did not dry out for a week or more I will bet you re cycle in under 7 days. Bacteria dies very slowly. First the weakest [unneeded ]die and the strongest begin to " hibernate ". IMO hibernation can last months in the right condition.
I think you are still in good shape...

If the sponge and media did not dry out for a week or more I will bet you re cycle in under 7 days. Bacteria dies very slowly. First the weakest [unneeded ]die and the strongest begin to " hibernate ". IMO hibernation can last months in the right condition.
I think you are still in good shape...
That is good to hear. Maybe I'll check my nitrates tomorrow.

Thanks for the input.

It is finally starting to move a little. I tested today and the ammonia that I dosed is still at 4ppm, however, the Nitrates have come up to .25 ppm from 0 and the nitrates moved from 5pm to 20 ppm. The PH is 7.6 at the moment, but I think it is fairly inaccurate due to the amount of ammonia in the tank.

That is awesome! Thanks for the info Coral! I always thought once it dried it was done for!

I read an article on potassium permanganate and the author/user took his bio media out and lay it on his basement floor overnight for 24 hours on the regular without issue. He was "a rocket scientist" so I kind of trust his info.. I also corresponded for a short time with a person who was a scientist who specifically dealt with bacteria for a living.. They mentioned the die off and hibernation...
I myself have plenty of used media hanging around and have found older ,non cleaned before storing would cycle rather quickly.. (y)

The crushed coral has definitely held the PH steady. I have a strange cycle going on. My ammonia stays around 2ppm and does not drop. I have 0 nitrites and 20ppm nitrates. Is this a normal thing?

Back
Top Bottom