3.5 Gallon Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
Would this work? I need to know why kind I should get as well. Any advice welcome.

I had a frog in here and just recently learned that I need to upgrade to a ten gallon for my ACF. I don't want to just get rid of this tank though.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Would this work? I need to know why kind I should get as well. Any advice welcome.

I had a frog in here and just recently learned that I need to upgrade to a ten gallon for my ACF. I don't want to just get rid of this tank though.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Red cherry shrimp would be fine. I would say no more than 5-10 and have a sponge filter. Do some research it will be little to no effort to maintain. I would include some mini water lettuce and java moss as plants.

Do I have to have plants? I'm really not ready for them. But if they are essential for shrimp then I can. Like I said, I haven't done much research on this setup yet. How about ghost shrimp to start with to see if I can care for shrimp? They are so inexpensive that I want to make sure I'm capable of this before I do any expensive shrimp.

Rcs aren't very tough to keep alive, I have a few and they stay on my plants all the time, and as to only 5-10 of them in a 3.5g? That's way under the possibilities, you can have upwards of fifty in a 3.5 their bioload is next to nothing

I have a 10g that I plan on adding RCS and amano shrimp to (with cardinal tetras), and I'll be adding a ton of java moss to it. It's a low tech plant that should be good for your 3.5g tank also.

I have ghost shrimp in my 20g high for a bottom feeder. They're cheap and easy to maintain. I don't know how well they'd get along with RCS though if you added them later.

A 3.5g is perfect for dwarf shrimp like RCS. They're pretty hardy if you keep the water reasonably clean and they don't require much feeding or maintenance if you have some live plants. I've got a 5g sitting on my kitchen counter with java moss and anacharis in it and my shrimp do very well. I change 50% of the water every other week and occasionally feed some flakes. Start with ten RCS and you should have a breeding colony very quickly.

Do I have to have plants? I'm really not ready for them. But if they are essential for shrimp then I can. Like I said, I haven't done much research on this setup yet. How about ghost shrimp to start with to see if I can care for shrimp? They are so inexpensive that I want to make sure I'm capable of this before I do any expensive shrimp.

You really do need some live plants, IMHO. You probably just have a little incandescent bulb in that tank so you'll want to pick something hardy. For shrimp, I'd go with at minimum a java fern and a marimo/moss ball. I feed mine hikari shrimp food.

I'm turning a 10G into a shrimp-only tank (leaving the heater off to save energy... RCS can thrive at room-temp). I'd recommend java moss first, it lives anywhere, needs minimal light; curious how java fern would do in such a small tank without fish waste to drive growth.

If you have one of those 'silent' kit filters that come with small tanks, like the Tetra brand ones, that's probably just fine for use with shrimp.

As for number to start with, I started with 2 male and 2 female RCS and have RCS in all my tanks now as they've multiplied rapidly (where they don't get eaten, that is).

cwt said:
As for number to start with, I started with 2 male and 2 female RCS and have RCS in all my tanks now as they've multiplied rapidly (where they don't get eaten, that is).

How fast did they really start off like did you have 10-15 within like a week or two or what?

Rcs aren't very tough to keep alive, I have a few and they stay on my plants all the time, and as to only 5-10 of them in a 3.5g? That's way under the possibilities, you can have upwards of fifty in a 3.5 their bioload is next to nothing

This was a starting number sorry. Op will soon have to find another tank or even start selling them.

I'll have to sell. I can't get another tank. The whole purpose of this is to use that three point five gallon, instead of it going to waste. Are there any shrimp that will not reproduce in freshwater that would be okay to keep?

Back
Top Bottom