Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

3 discus fighting

Im new to Discus keeping.My Larger 4 inch discus is pushing my 2 other 3 inch discus to the back corner behind the tall Plants. There are only 3 discus, and 4 corys in the 75 gal tank. What is this all about, and what is the swimming behaviour expected of Discus.I thought they should all be swimming outfront in the open? I purchased them 5 days ago, I have been doing small water changes everyday, i removed half of the plants yesterday as the tank was heavily grown. There are happy to eat the bloodworms and brine shrimp i feed them. Advice would be great.

If this is the wrong location for this thread please redirect me. I'm relatively new to this forum and any guidance is welcome.

K

Old 01-18-2014, 01:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a similar situation I purchased two (about 2") on January 4. They were in the same tank at my LFS. When I got them home and settled the larger of the two became a bully. So much that he bullied it to death. I returned on Tuesday to my LFS, purchased five more and Wednesday morning the smallest was not well. He went back to the store Wednesday night !! 😜😜 I'm waiting for the new shipment to come in Tuesday.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Discus form a social hierarchy, and usually do better in groups of 5 or more. That helps them to feel more secure, and spreads out the aggression should you get a 'bully.'
Old 01-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #4

maybe i should have spent more time looking at behaviour at the store and less time on choosing for colour!! I don't like having a bully in the tank.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:40 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just get a few more if your stocking levels permit.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #6

wish i could get more, there isn't anymore here where i live. I have to wait till a store brings more in
Old 01-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

3 discus fighting

Most stores that do they're own picking from a wholesaler will usually take a request from a customer as to what particular color and size you'd be looking for. At least a couple around me do anyway. It's also a good idea for a QT that is at the same parameters as the main tank for at least a week as well.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #8

I have read about the qt tank as a necessity. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I have a cobalt blue bully. He even took over the log where my German blue ram had mated with an electric blue, I was so excited.... Now me and the wife have a name for that discus that I can't repeat in this forum lol.
But Generally you need a big tank, Clean water, separated spaces usually thru plants, real or fake, calming shoaling fish, 82-87 degrees depending on age (warmer for young'uns), and 6-8 for a good social mix up with little to no harassment. And if you do get a bully, usually if it's in Good Health their easy to trade out for.

Tags
discus, fight, fighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com