30 gallon fishless cycle (hopefully) getting somewhere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bud29

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all, some of you know my cycle story, but many don't, so here it is.
I started the cycle 6/20.
Week 1: No ammonia drop
Week 2: No ammonia drop
Week 3: No ammonia drop
Week 4: No ammonia drop
Week 5: No ammonia drop
After that I finally broke down and bought some bacteria in a bottle. Within 24 hours of putting in the bacteria, the ammonia was at zero. (That was 8/11)

Now, my bio filter seems to be able to process 2.5 ppm ammonia in 24 hours. I have not seen a nitrite drop but the NItrite>NitrAte conversion must be happening because my nitrAtes have gone from 30 to about 60 ppm.

Any advice on what I should do? Unless my Nitrites drop like a rock, the tank will not be cycled when the bottle of bacteria says it will. However, something is actually happening, unlike before. So should I just wait and see what happens?

Yep, I'd wait. How long have nitrites been high? The nitrite phase is the longest and can take up to 3 weeks on average. And that's how it'll happen: one day nitrites will be high, the next they'll be zero. Rising nitrate is good; there's some conversion happening. Keep an eye on PH: it tends to drop during cycling and it can cause a stall if it gets too low (in the mid-low 6's); a large water change will fix this if it happens.

If nitrites are very high for a week or more or/and if PH drops or/and if ammonia conversion slows down, do a large water change. Until then, just add some patience :)

Nitrites have oddly been around 1.5-2 ppm this entire cycle. Today was the first day they were actually higher than that. The pH has been staying at about 8 so that's all good. I am hoping the nitrite conversion will be shorter than 3 weeks because I am using my bacteria in a bottle. I am a very impatient person and having this cycle last two months has absolutely been killing me. According to the bottle, the tank should be cycled the day after tomorrow but that obviously will not happen.

Thanks for the help!

bud29 said:
Nitrites have oddly been around 1.5-2 ppm this entire cycle. Today was the first day they were actually higher than that. The pH has been staying at about 8 so that's all good. I am hoping the nitrite conversion will be shorter than 3 weeks because I am using my bacteria in a bottle. I am a very impatient person and having this cycle last two months has absolutely been killing me. According to the bottle, the tank should be cycled the day after tomorrow but that obviously will not happen.

Thanks for the help!

On my 10g it took 6 wks before I had nitrites & then they lasted right about 2 wks then like librarygirl said they were just gone. It's been 6 days & all my tests are normal. I hope yours goes quicker. :)

I am using colonize by doctors foster and smith. I did try seeded media (I put it in the filter the day I started my cycle) and it did nothing.

This morning the ammonia was at 0. I had to rush off to school though so I didn't test anything else. I did test just a few minutes ago and my nitrites and nitrates are just about the same as yesterday. (possibly a few more nitrates though)

Back
Top Bottom