30g stocking suggestions w/ a bully

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

birdma

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 14g w/ platies and a dwarf gourami. My DG is on the feisty side and will chase the male platy around. I recently got a 30g and wanted to move him into it. My thought is if he's in a bigger tank that's understocked he'll be a bit more mellow. So any suggestions on fish to go w/ him? Some fish I like are endler's, bolivian rams, cory cats, zebra danios.

I currently have a 14g w/ platies and a dwarf gourami. My DG is on the feisty side and will chase the male platy around. I recently got a 30g and wanted to move him into it. My thought is if he's in a bigger tank that's understocked he'll be a bit more mellow. So any suggestions on fish to go w/ him? Some fish I like are endler's, bolivian rams, cory cats, zebra danios.

How many platys do you have? You could try.
3 or how ever many platys ya have
1 dg
2 Bolivian rams
6 Cory cats
6 neon tetras or 5 endlers!!

I have 4 platies but they'll be staying in the 14g. I'm just moving my DG into the 30g and want new fish to go w/ him.

I had a bully dg who didn't mess with my corys. Not that that's a big help on anything else.

Ha sounds like me but my DG stressed my Platy out and when it died it ate it.... Rams would work with the DG but might be a bit feisty too, maybe danios as they are good calming fish and a large school might be a bit intimidating

I had a bully dg who didn't mess with my corys. Not that that's a big help on anything else.

It's good to know there's at least one bully dg who didn't mess w/ cories!

Ha sounds like me but my DG stressed my Platy out and when it died it ate it.... Rams would work with the DG but might be a bit feisty too, maybe danios as they are good calming fish and a large school might be a bit intimidating

Yea, I'm a bit concerned about rams and my dg. He's not a huge bully but he def doesn't put up w/ any shenanigans from the other fish and isn't afraid to let them know he's in charge, lol. If danios are calmer maybe I'll try those and some cories.

I had a DG that chased my bolivians and stressed them quite a bit and I ended up giving it away. I like my bolivians a lot better then the DG. Not saying that will happen to you, but I'd be cautious.

Yea, I'm a little leery of putting rams in a tank w/ my dg. Right now I'm thinking danios, serpae tetras or endlers. We'll see...it'll be awhile before I get it setup and put fish in so I have time to research different options.

I agree, I think the best fish for a grumpy DG would be a schooling fish, but I wouldnt try endlers, they are a little small and fragile.

Back
Top Bottom