38 Gallon Bowfront Aquascape and Stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReyK

Aquarium Advice Regular
This week I scored a screaming deal on a 38 gallon bowfront aquarium kit brand new, never even out of the box off Craigslist for my dad and stepmom’s house, and I’m trying to figure out some ideas for the scape and stock for the tank that they’ll love.

My dad wants very colorful fish, but unfortunately most of the ones he likes are saltwater and I don’t know anything about saltwater set up or maintenance, and since I’m going to be the one setting everything up and doing regular maintenance, that’s not an option right now. I’m not exactly sure what kind of fish my stepmom will want, but I assume it’ll be something along the same lines.

I plan to have the tank moderately to heavily planted, and I’m leaning more towards stone versus wood for decor (I’m not the hugest fan of imitation/unnatural looking decor). I kinda want to put at least one or two cool-looking oddball fish in there hopefully but I’m just not sure what to do yet. I already have a common pleco I plan on eventually putting in there, and I’m working on breeding some neocardina shrimp as a clean up crew, but I’m just not sure on what to do for the center piece. I think a school of tetras or rasboras would be nice depending on the centerpiece fish but again, I just don’t know.

Any ideas on stock and scape are very much appreciated! Also, I’m attaching a couple photos of the tank so you can see what I’m working with:)IMG_0601.jpgIMG_0607.jpg

Ooh, I've never done a cichlid tank before, but I feel like that could be an option. I'd have to skip on the plants, but I think I could probably do that. I'll mention it to them and get their thoughts on it:)

This is the exact tank we bought in September from PetSmart. We have no room for anything bigger. We LOVE ours. I'm sure you will love yours too.

Research Lake Malawi Mbuna Cichlids. They are very colorful, active fish that like rocky hardscapes.

I've added plants and a pleco to cycle, but we're still debating on the other stock. It's between angels and GloFish for the main attraction I think, but my dad is also interested in dwarf lobsters and crayfish, but I don't think they'll work since they're aggressive fin-nippers and I'm not sure the tank is even big enough because I've read tank size minimums ranging from as little as ten or twenty gallons to as much as fifty or even seventy-five.
I'll just keep bringing him to fish stores and showing him fish til we find some compatible ones he likes I guess. We've still got a few weeks to decide, so I'm not rushing it. We'll figure it out:)

UPDATE: We finally decided on fish today! We got 5 cardinal tetras, 4 orange GloDanios, 1 pink GloShark, 8 panda corydoras, and 2 angels. In a few weeks, we might add a few more cardinals and danios, but this was a lot of fish to add at once and I think we were really pushing it. Thanks to everyone for their input, I really appreciate it:)

If you're gonna add that many fish to a tank that isn't cycled make sure you are testing the water frequently......daily or every other day. Also be prepared to do partial water changes daily or every other day. Just really keep an eye on it.

If you're gonna add that many fish to a tank that isn't cycled make sure you are testing the water frequently......daily or every other day. Also be prepared to do partial water changes daily or every other day. Just really keep an eye on it.

I used water and filter media from established tanks and I’ve been testing water about every day or two and partial water changes every other day:) thanks for your concern

Back
Top Bottom