5 gal in dorm - stocking suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshSaltGirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all -

So as the title suggests, I'm here at University, in my dorm (craving a beautiful diversion.) Therefore, I have decided to set up a 5 gallon freshwater aquarium. I'm fairly experienced with keeping fish (had them on and off since I've been 9, so that would be about a decade now? :p)

Some additional points:

-will use filter media from my established 40gal at home to seed said 5 gallon. So, that's a non issue.

-am looking for suggestions as to stocking: I have an idea so far, but would be welcome to any other thoughts in he matter. I'm thinking a betta, along with a few cherry shrimp, plus some anubias and java moss. Nice and simple - though not a ton of room to play around with anything overly complicated. It is what it is.

I've never kept any freshwater plants before (only corals in my saltwater tank which technically aren't classified as plants.) Any other tips or suggestions in keeping anublas or java moss is appreciated. I've heard they're low light plants, and that they like a pH of 6.5-7.5. So yeah, comment as you feel inclined to.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ok maybe a dwarf gouramie and shrimp but shrimp might be ate by a betta or dwarf gouramie
or a shrimp only tank

You could get 2 or 3 male guppies, they can be really pretty :) or some platys or tetras

Betta
Shrimp tank
Dwarf puffer
Small amount of nano fish such as scarlet badis and chili rasboras

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advicemyxm mzeN

I've never kept any freshwater plants before (only corals in my saltwater tank which technically aren't classified as plants.) Any other tips or suggestions in keeping anublas or java moss is appreciated. I've heard they're low light plants, and that they like a pH of 6.5-7.5.

Neither of those plants require much special care and the pH doesn't matter for them. A little added fertilizer would help them a bit but in a very low tech situation it's not absolutely necessary. What sort of lighting will you have? I'd recommend trying to mix up different leaf sizes to help try and give a little depth in your tank. Anubias nana 'petite' is a good nabo tank plant, and you could also look into crypts such as wendtii and parva. Crypts do fine in low light typically. Java fern is also very hard to kill and you can often find smaller varieties such as 'narrow leaf', 'Philippine', etc.

Good luck!

Thank you everyone for your comments! Highly appreciated :) a DG would be small for a 5, though I could always keep one in 5 gallons briefly then switch it over to my 40. It's a thought :)

@ Azmodan, I was thinking a 10w 5100k florescent? I have no clue...is that reasonable? Also, just thinking about substrate. If I'm going to have cherry shrimp, a darker sort of substrate would probably bring their colours out more. What would you recommend? I like the plant types you suggested too. Any ideas for easy to keep floating plants?

Thank you everyone for your comments! Highly appreciated :) a DG would be small for a 5, though I could always keep one in 5 gallons briefly then switch it over to my 40. It's a thought :)

@ Azmodan, I was thinking a 10w 5100k florescent? I have no clue...is that reasonable? Also, just thinking about substrate. If I'm going to have cherry shrimp, a darker sort of substrate would probably bring their colours out more. What would you recommend? I like the plant types you suggested too. Any ideas for easy to keep floating plants?

Duckweed!!! :lol:

I'd suggest Amazon frogbit as a floating plant as RCS tend to like the long hanging roots quite a bit. For your lighting I'd look for something in the 6500k range, which is very plant friendly. For substrate any black gravel or sand would be nice, but if you're going with any sort of rooted plants (such as crypts) I'd probably recommend something like Eco Complete.

Red Cherry Shrimp & a trio of male Endlers or neon tetras would look nice. An anubia is a great choice, maybe a snail to keep it clean.

Thanks for all the great comments everyone :) much appreciated! If I get some things up and running I may post a few pics. :)

If you like gouramis, a pair of sparkling gouramis might be a better option.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom