5 Gallon Betta Fish Setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Endless Ocean in My House

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a five gallon plastic critter cage/tank that I haven't found any use for. I have a couple fish tanks and I thought I'd just get a little betta fish to fill up this tank.
Do betta fish need a sponge filter? I'll get an airpump, but I wasn't sure whether it would need a filter.
Will a betta fish be all right with an apple snail?
(I have a larger FW tank that I'll move the betta fish to if he gets too large).
I don't think a heater is necessary, I'll get an air pump, I have test kits--looks like all I need is more gravel and a sponge filter.
Am I leaving something out?

Bettas prefer temps around 78-80, so unless the room where the tank is is that warm, I would get a heater. A sponge filter (or any kind of filter) is necessary as well. Bettas will work with apple snails, however there is a chance the betta will kill it. It all depends on the personality of the individual betta.

5g is perfect for a beta.

If you don't plan on having a lot of plants, then you'll need not only a filter, but you'll need to cycle your tank first.

Skip the air pump, stick with an HOB.

They don't work the same

I prefer HOB, and it frees up more of your tank space.

Betas don't love lots of bubbles in their water. They prefer a light flow and calm water.

Yes, but they both work fine. Most HOBs will produce a current too strong for bettas unless there is an aduster on the flow. So in those cases bettas would much prefer the sponge filter.

Most 5-15g HOBs have adjusters.

Sponge filters will easily cause a spike in ammo or nitrates, unless it is well planted.

I'm sure you know that there are three types of filtration -- sponge filters fail at two of three..

In any case, OP, you'll save space both inside and out with a HOB. WalMart sells a great HOB for 5-15. Just follow its directions. Best of luck!

Why would sponge filters cause spikes? They often hold BB better than HOBs. Plus the filter pad doesn't have to be changed ever. The sponge just needs to be rinsed out in tank water occasionally. Seems much easier to me.

My HOB in my betta tank does not have an aduster and I have to block flow otherwise my betta would be pushed around the tank all day.

This is just my experience, the OP can choose whichever filter works best for them.

As it is my experience. Placet cuique suum.

Back
Top Bottom