55 Gallon Stocking Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Astro387

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After my daughter recently acquired a small feeder goldfish (from a carnival) I've been bitten by the aquarium bug again after years of not having any. Anyway, I need you guys to refresh my memory and give me some stocking ideas for a 55 gallon I have sitting around. The only thing I know for sure is, it'll be planted and I want it highly active. Let the ideas roll!

A school of rainbowfish and it tetras, 6-8 Cory cats for the bottom and maybe a school of hatchet fish or a dwarf gourami for the top?

A school of rainbowfish and it tetras, 6-8 Cory cats for the bottom and maybe a school of hatchet fish or a dwarf gourami for the top?

I'm not a huge fan of gourami, but I do like all the others. I'm really tempted to try a dwarf puffer

Puffers are species only tanks. They cannot be mixed with other fish and need to be fed differently. If you want a dwarf puffer, get a smaller 5-10 gallon tank for one. Do some research on puffers for a while first.

However, if you go the rainbowfish route, you could try an angelfish instead of the gourami. I have an angelfish in my tank with a large school of Australian rainbows, cories, pictus and rams. It's a very peaceful active tank! Most tetras and barbs can be fin nippers so stock wisely :)

Stocking has always been the hardest for me because I'm so picky and change my mind a million times before I stock lol

Scissor tail rasboras are nice schooling fish. They lack bright colors but a group of them moving together is amazing. A Bolivian ram pair would be nice

No problem. Rams are wonderful NW cichlids that usually go great in a community tank. Just be sure to add them after the tank is cycled and aquarium is stable. They are more on the sensitive side so maintaining a healthy aquarium and weekly 50% WC schedule should be maintained. I have Bolivian rams which are slightly more hardy than German blues.

I'm wondering about the goldfish however, is there just one? How big of tank is it in? A single goldfish needs at least 20 gallons...

The goldfish died shortly after we got it and I didn't replace it.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:
Pair of blue rams
12 Cardinal Tetras
6 Schwartz Cory
10 Cherry Barb

That sounds like a nice stock IMO. Add the rams last tho, after the tank is established, and because they're the most aggressive of the fish you want. Do you have the tank already? Are you going to do a fish less cycle or fish in cycle?

Thank you. I have the tank (it's sitting in storage) I'm going to do a fish less cycle. I've never tried one with fish before so I'll stick to what I know

I'll keep you updated on the progress with pics. If you have any more suggestions, I'm all ears!

Back
Top Bottom