75 gallon fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

josh7

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay I'm starting to get really frustrated because my nitrite will not drop it's been unreadable on API test kit and I finally just did a 50 percent water change and added fish food re dosed ammonia and this morning it's still unreadable any ideas to get it moving again. Or do I need to just be patient.

Hi! When did you start your cycle? Is the ammonia zeroing out daily? How long have the nitrites been off the charts? Are you getting any nitrates yet? Has your ph remained stable? Some more info will help to figure out if theres a problem or if you just need some more patience! :)

Last edited:
My ph is stable nitrate is right at 30 I keep dosing up to 4 ppm ammonia and it drops to 0 daily

When did you start your cycle? How long have the nitrites been high? Are the nitrates increasing or have they remained at 30ppm?

They have slowly been increasing I have been cycling for 2 weeks and I really hope it's done by Saturday any suggestions if worst case scenario can I add stuff to detoxify nitrites and add a convict cichlid. or will this really be bad on my tank cycle

At only 2 wks into a cycle, you are still quite early into it! Its off to a great start with your ammonia zeroing on a daily basis. The nitrite>nitrate phase typically takes twice as long as the amm>nitrite phase, so you really need some patience here! It wont be cycled by sat.

If you want to switch from a fishless cycle to a fish-in cycle and do daily ( or 2x daily) water changes, you obviously can do this. Just skip the ammonia and do one or two 100% water changes with temperature matched, properly conditioned water to drop your nitrites to zero. Then you will need to test daily and do water changes to keep your toxin levels in check until your tank is fully cycled. Up to you!

Okay well if that's true then it wouldn't it be done in 8 days just saying.

ITs true JLK is a pro at cycling infos and its just an issue of time have you tested your tap water?

Yes it has nothing in it at least it didn't read for anything just a question if I was to add prime and added a convict cichlid would it be safe from nitrite or is prime a joke.

its not a joke, that said it does not permanently get rid of ammonia/nitrite from my understanding it just neutralizes them for about 48 hours...

Oh okay and could I add a convict and keep adding prime after 24 hours will that work

Back
Top Bottom