Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

8' plywood tank (200+gallons)

Ok guys, I know a few of you have been waiting for me to make this thread so here it is. The Festae tank is about to be underway. Before I began building though figure ill bounce some ideas around and discuss it so that I'm not regretting not doing something by the time I am finished. The plans are 7'x2.5'x18" (196 gallons). I would like to have a dual overflow setup one on each side running to either A my sump or B my refugium. Each of which will have its own return pump.the sump and fuge I plan on making right around 50 gallons a piece. For lighting ill probably get some of the marineland LEDs and just retrofit the fixtures to the canopy. When its all said and done I plan on making this look like a piece of furniture all done up with trim and stain. Also I should put out there that the measurements I'm looking at by no means are set in stone. When I begin building ill end up going as wide front to back as my front door will allow because I do want to have the option of moving it all in one piece if I decide to move in the future so it may have to be cut back a few inches front to back. As for the height of the stand I would like to have the tank bottom at around 4' so that there will be no bending over to see the fish it'll be eye level pretty much. Well Ill stop here and leave it open for discussion and ill be off to get the 2x4s, 4x4s and 2x6s for framing sometime in the next week.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would put some wheels on it for easy moving.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

No wheels.. I don't trust that at all. If anything when moving ill put it on sliders and drain it which it should be no different then moving a large entertainment stand. The canopy will be easily removeable to help take down weight and size during a potential move as well
Old 11-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, opinions and ideas on stocking would be nice to. My plan so far is a large school of silver dollars maybe some clown loaches and my festae. Just keep in mind this tank will be focused around my Festae as its the only reason I'm even building this tank lmao.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

at first i thought this was gonna be a SW tank! lol but sweet, a giant FW tank is awesome too... ill be following
Old 11-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

God a sw tank this size would break the bank cause it would most definitely be a reef haha with the other "project" I have about to be underway ill be able to setup some reef tanks on other people's money anyways lmao
Old 11-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
God a sw tank this size would break the bank cause it would most definitely be a reef haha with the other "project" I have about to be underway ill be able to setup some reef tanks on other people's money anyways lmao
thats gonna be awesome if that pulls thru man lol not gonna lie, im a little jealous haha
Old 11-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well the "inner circle" on here (you know who you are lol) will most definetly get the "friends & family" pricing on pretty much everything maybe some bonuses in any shipments too
Old 11-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
Well the "inner circle" on here (you know who you are lol) will most definetly get the "friends & family" pricing on pretty much everything maybe some bonuses in any shipments too
now im really excited for this to happen!! yayyyy
Old 11-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Do you know how tall your going to make the stand?
I hate the store stands because of the height of them. When I built my stand I made it at 45" and its perfect. If you needed an idea lol, by the way I'm 5'10. Then I had to buy a 3 step ladder and a broom handle. I cut the broom handle in half to attach to my siphon cleaner and the other half I attached plexi glass to stir up the sand with. They work great if you needed some ideas. I also use a long handled grabber thingy to pick up rocks or anything on the bottom. Let me just say I almost never have to get my hands wet.

Anyways for under the tank its nice having a higher stand. As you know the more room when running sumps is awesome and now I will never have it any other way. Heck I custom made my sump and was able to put some of the sump up off the bottom so I can store stuff under it then it drains to a refugium on the other side. I have over a 1000 gph pond pump on mine and wish i would have had two so I'd keep that idea in your head aswell with the two overflows.

Haha that's the end for now that I can think of if any of it makes since. I kinda typed as I was thinking and kept thinking of new stuff to say. Oh well sorry for all the jumping around

Edit
I edited it some lol

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com