90 gallon fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK, so I am getting myself a new 90 gallon tank. think I am going to try the fishless cycle but I am probably going to need a little help :whistle: For some reason it seems a little confusing - maybe it will become more clear as I am going through it.

I currently have a 5 gallon and 20 gallon that are both going through a fish in cyle (this is why I think I will try and do a fishless - I am already changing water in 2 tanks and if I add a PWC on a 90 gallon that will be LOTS of water!)

on the 20 gallon tank I have a Penguin 150 bio wheel (love this btw). On the new 90 gallon tank I will have an AquaClear 110

So here is the first question. should I get an extra sponge that goes in the AquaClear 110 and stick it in the 20 gallon tank right now? all my stuff should arrive on Tues (Jan 17) or thereabouts. would this help establish my 90 gallon tank? will it slow down the cycle on the 20 gallon tank when I remove it to help seed the 90 gallon tank?

How long has the 20 been running? If its not a well established tank your best bet would be some media from a tank that has been running for 6-8 months or more.

You're going to need more than just a AC 110 on that 90 gallon, I would spend the extra cash and get FX5 or other large canister.

Hi Heather! I would just do a fishless cycle from scratch on your 90g. If you are already doing fish-in cycles on your smaller tanks, the last thing you will want to do right now is to remove the media from either of these tanks because it will just bring you back to square one & you will be starting all over with new fish-in cycles. You can stick an extra sponge in one of your smaller tanks but it will take a few wks to be seeded. You can also look into purchasing a live filter from 'angelsplus' to help seed your new 90g-do a search on here & you should find a link to their site. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions!!!

Back
Top Bottom