A few fishless-cycling questions concerning bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minahoggan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've looked over several different threads concerning fishless cycling. All have mentioned the use of a filter to aerate the water and provide oxygen for the bacteria.

My problem is that bettas like very little to no water movement. So a filter (especially in a small 3.5 gallon tank) is very disruptive. As are airstones! So my question is... after the cycle is over, will the bacteria be okay if I remove the filter or turn it off once I put my fish in?

Also, many sites have also said that a piece of filter media from an already established/cycled tank is very beneficial. If I don't use any media, can I still get the bacteria to grow (with all the ammonia add-ins, etc. of course)? Basically, is media REALLY necessary?

Time is not necessarily an issue for me, so I'm not worried about the speediest way to cycle my tank. As long as I CAN maintain a cycle without the use of a filter (after the cycle has finished) and without introducing media into the environment?

Any advice would be most appreciated! I'd like to get the cycle started asap so I can go fish shopping! :dance:

Marina

When you cycle your tank there will be a build up of BB on all the surfaces of your tank but the majority of it will be in the filter. If you then remove the filter there will be very little mechanism for the processing of the waste produced in the tank and levels will likely rise fairly quickly depending on the bio-load.
If you want a filter that doesn't create too much current why not try a sponge filter?

When you cycle your tank there will be a build up of BB on all the surfaces of your tank but the majority of it will be in the filter. If you then remove the filter there will be very little mechanism for the processing of the waste produced in the tank and levels will likely rise fairly quickly depending on the bio-load.
If you want a filter that doesn't create too much current why not try a sponge filter?

I'll look into the sponge filters. What if I left the filter in the tank, just had it turned off? Does it need to be turned on in order for the BB to be beneficial to the rest of the tank?

Thank you very much :)

Realistically it needs to be switched on. The BB needs the water flowing through it to provide both oxygen and the toxins which they feed on. With no flow through the filter the BB is likely to die off.

Realistically it needs to be switched on. The BB needs the water flowing through it to provide both oxygen and the toxins which they feed on. With no flow through the filter the BB is likely to die off.

Thank you so much - I just placed an order for a relatively cheap sponge filter that looks small enough to accommodate the size of my tank.

Do you have any advice concerning the BB media? Is it needed? Or can I cycle my tank without it? :thanks:

I'm assuming you understand the process of cycling. If not search the site for fishless cycling. There's loads of info and guides to walk you through the process.
You could cycle your new filter from scratch when you get it or you could try seeding it with bacteria from your current filter by squeezing all the gunky water from your current filter into the tank once your new filter is up and running. It will cloud up the water but that gunk will be rich in bacteria which will then colonise your new filter.
Who have you ordered your sponge filter from? If you look on angelsplus you can buy seeded sponge filters already loaded with bacteria.

I'm assuming you understand the process of cycling. If not search the site for fishless cycling. There's loads of info and guides to walk you through the process.
You could cycle your new filter from scratch when you get it or you could try seeding it with bacteria from your current filter by squeezing all the gunky water from your current filter into the tank once your new filter is up and running. It will cloud up the water but that gunk will be rich in bacteria which will then colonise your new filter.
Who have you ordered your sponge filter from? If you look on angelsplus you can buy seeded sponge filters already loaded with bacteria.

The thing is, I washed and put away my tank long ago. I had gotten discouraged when my last betta died out of the blue. I wish I had known about that earlier! But I ordered a Hagen sponge biofilter for like 11 bucks, ans I'm not worried ab:oops:out starting from scratch as long as it is POSSIBLE to grow from scratch.
And I will definitely be frequenting the cycling guides several times during the process. I am very much a beginner. XD

I've kept bettas with the Tetra Whisper internal 3i, which filters the tank with hardly any water movement.

David

Back
Top Bottom