A Military Term Called "mission creep"... Except with Fish Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lt.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
A Military Term Called "mission creep"... Except with Fish Tanks

Ah, so funny story, last week I had some money and decided I wanted a fish tank... Plus Petco was having their "dollar per gallon" sale, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I bought a 20L, since I wanted something with more swimming room lengthwise than a 20T, but I didn't want a huge tank.

A few days later I got a used TV stand that I think will hold this 20 gallon tank I have in my possession... But the more I look at it, the more I think "boy... That's sorta short, it's not tall enough for a real difference between the bottom dwellers and mid-top water fish..." So tonight I decided to go down to my local Petco (the only fish store in Butte, Montana besides Walmart) and take a peek at other tank sizes. The 29, it wasn't THAT much bigger, but it was TALLER was the key.

So now, I sit in my car, broke, thinking about how my stand probably won't hold my new, bigger tank, how I might build my new stand that I'm gonna need (cheaper to build than buy), and what stocking possibilities may have opened up to me now... While at the same time I'm ticked at myself because I bought the bigger tank.

I've gone from planning a 10G with a Betta, some neons, shrimp with a few fake plants, to a 20L low tech planted community, to a 29G low tech community, but maybe with bigger schools/shoals... All in a 4 room little apartment, soon to be in an even littler studio apartment... I hate my self.

Welcome, you are truely one of us now. I know the feeling as I have almost 40 tanks and in summer use kiddie pools and stock vats for fish.

I have my 29G sitting on top of a double file cabinet. You can usually find these very cheap. And I have 5 tanks, and sometimes when I'm doing all my tank maintenance, I hate myself.

After hitting a personal high of about 250 gallons of assorted aquariums, I spent years in remission, with just one large tank to take care of. This year has been rough, though, and a 75 just followed me home from Petco last week. That will bring me up to, let's see, carry the 1... 169 gallons :blink:

Be warned: this forum is full of enablers! Enablers, enablers everywhere!

It's true, at one point I had to forbid myself from going into any pet store period because the likelihood of walking out with stuff was too high :/

Lol once we get an apartment... my boyfriend has no idea what is going to happen muhahahaha

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This conversation is hilarious! Probably true to a majority of us on here. I have a 75 gal fresh that I'm still trying to get a handle on, and have a 10gal reef that just doesn't seem big enough. I'm in the midst of thoughts of how to beef up my floor. Is it a hobby or addiction either way resistance in futile. Also I have a couple extra tanks from Petco in the basement as well.

I have a limit myself to the number of tanks I buy but now with your tanks I just keep replacing them with larger tanks it's getting awfully heavy on the floor

Back
Top Bottom