About 7 days into cycling, have questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBailey0625

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, I have been cycling my danios in a 20 gal for about 11 days now. I started with 4, and about the 5th day I lost one so I went to by 2 more of the same fish to replace the 1 lost, and just yesterday I lost another so im back at 4. I have been testing daily using the master test kit from api for ammonia, ph, nitrite, and nitrate and sometimes 2 times daily and making the proper water changes as needed. My ammonia seems to be very stable at around .25ppm sometimes even after a water changes. Today would be my 12th day into cycling my questions are did adding the new fish hurt my water quality? And should I take anymore precautions besides changing the water? And any other info during this time of my cycle that would help will be much apprieciated, thanks

Hi! Have you checked your tap water for nitrite, ammonia, and nitrate? If not it's a good idea to do so to see where you're starting from.

My guess is that the danios were already sick or compromised when you got them. How did you acclimate them to the tank? If they died after 5 days and you're monitoring levels I doubt it's anything you've done, sounds like bad stock to me. Have you seen any nitrite in the tank yet or just ammonia?

ALso I'm assuming you're adding water conditioner/dechlorinator to the water prior to adding it to the tank and temperature matching the water? Just to cover all the bases. :)

Also what kind of danios?

Yes im doing all the above, I got 2 blue long fin and 2 gold long fin, no trace of nitrites yet in the water...

Fish In Cycling

Hi everyone, I have been cycling my danios in a 20 gal for about 11 days now. I started with 4, and about the 5th day I lost one so I went to by 2 more of the same fish to replace the 1 lost, and just yesterday I lost another so im back at 4. I have been testing daily using the master test kit from api for ammonia, ph, nitrite, and nitrate and sometimes 2 times daily and making the proper water changes as needed. My ammonia seems to be very stable at around .25ppm sometimes even after a water changes. Today would be my 12th day into cycling my questions are did adding the new fish hurt my water quality? And should I take anymore precautions besides changing the water? And any other info during this time of my cycle that would help will be much apprieciated, thanks

Hello BB...

Zebra Danios are the only type I'd use. The other species aren't as able to withstand the changes in the water chemistry. Platys are an alternative.

Don't add fish until several tests read "0" ammonia and nitrites. Just keep the fish you have and test daily. When a test shows even a trace of these pollutants, you need to immediately change 25 to 30 percent of the water to bring the water chemistry back to normal.

B

I think I kind of rushed my acclimation on a couple of them as well, whats the proper way to acclimate besides drip acclimating and how long should the process take??

I think I kind of rushed my acclimation on a couple of them as well, whats the proper way to acclimate besides drip acclimating and how long should the process take??
there is a good guide on liveaquaria.com it has you float your bag, add 1/2 cup water every 5 min... total process should take you around an hour.

Back
Top Bottom