Acrylic or Glass Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missbarbie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So as I did a waterchange this morning, I came across a rapid leak on my 20G. In the panic inexperienced mode that I was in on a holiday weekend, I removed my colony, took out the water, and attempted to reseal it. Possibly a good move or bad move I am sure. Anyways, I am debating about if I should keep my current set up and hope to god that seal holds, or upgrade to a 30G acrylic or 30G glass tank. It was a good opportunity to replace the current stand as I am also fearing that my current stand might give out at some point, so I am justifying this for removing the contents. Any opinions?

Is acrylic better? I've seen some from Seaclear that seem to be partially closed at the top. :huh:

Suggestions on starting up could be helpful as well.

Thanks guys!

I prefer glass. Acrylic scratches too easy and is more expensive. I believe acrylic is much lighter than glass. A huge tank, 300 gallons plus, acrylic might be a good choice because of the less weight factor, making it easier to move.

Acrylic is light but more prone to scratches.
The ones with partially closed tops may limit your options. I would explore other acrylic manufacturers.

I have 20 acrylic tanks and will never buy a glass one again. Acrylic is lighter, will not leak or crack, can be drilled easily for inlet and outlets, is clear and attractive. I've had one for 30 years that's as good as new. Yes, you can scratch them so you need to take a bit of care. But if they do scratch, the scratches can be easily buffed out. I had a fish-sitter who put several gouges in one tank. I buffed them out, no problem.
The only two negatives is that they cost more (but will last forever) and with partially closed tops it's a bit harder to net fish. Minor issue.

In a small tank like that I would probably do glass unless you enjoy buffing acrylic. The glass tanks will be cheap enough that even if you throw them away every 10 years you will be OK.

Acrylic tanks can develop leaks/cracks. Especially the thin acrylic tanks you are likely to find in smaller sizes.

On the other hand, if you want a specialized tank like an AIO with an integrated sump, acrylic is the better/only option.

When the tanks get bigger the economics change as does the advantage of the lighter weight.

All I can say, having 20 acrylic tanks for 5 years and one for 30 years, I have buffed two tanks in all that time and it took me maybe a half hour for each one. I have never had one leak or crack. I do agree that the cheap plastic tanks typically found at a pet store are pretty terrible but if you get a real acrylic one off the web, they are great. And you are correct, the bigger the tank the more acrylic tanks have the advantage.

I hate the tops of my acrylic tanks. I have a 50 and a 60 gal. I prefer my glass tanks.

Glass I have 20 + from 20 gal to 125 gal. Its personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom