Aggression Problem - Glofish Green Tiger Barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

worldrulr24

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently set up a new tank for Glofish. Everyone seems happy, the 3 tetras schooled together right away, but my green tiger barb was being aggressive with the red tiger barb. It does just fine with the tetras, but its already forced the red one into one corner of the tank, and it looks stressed out. I read the greens can be aggressive and its recommended to get more so they can chase each other, but I didn't want to get another green in case they both started terrorizing the red one. So I got another red one to see if it would help. Now the green one is terrorizing both of them and they both look suicidal. It's only been 2 days, so I wonder if they'll eventually get along or am I going to have to get rid of the green one before a red one dies from stress?

More so than the color it has to do with the kind of fish it is.

Whether or not it is a male chasing females or male attacking male competing for a female. Tiger Barbs are a semi aggressive fish. They need groups of male to female ratio where there are more females than males to offset any one fish from being chased to death.

You can capture the aggressor and leave him in a net hanging in the tank in water to give him a time out, or get an inexpensive breeder box to isolate it and give the other fish a break. You would need more of them, 1 M to 2-3 F ratio to have a better group interaction.

The Glofish have nippy albino Gymnocorymbus ternetzi as one type, like a Black Skirt. Need a school of the fish.

Same with the others. They have a jelly fish gene splaced in for the glo. The fish are still the basics of what type of fish they are not what color.

Purple Glo Zebra Danio needs a group of Zebra Danio Ririo for shoaling, not a group of purple fish, with purple Black skirt, purple Zebra Danio, and purple Tiger Barbs.

If your tank is only 10g....that's your problem. None of the Glo species is suited to a small tank IMHO.

Tiger Barbs do best in 29g or up IME. Big school or 6 or more...more is better.

The Tetras are Skirt Tetras. They may do ok in a 10g. I prefer 20g or larger. The females get bigger.

The Danios are zippy as heck and I like them in 20Long or bigger.

For now ? I'd return the Barbs. Once tank parameters are stable. Add 2 more Tetras.

Or get a larger tank. 10g are tricky to stock for long term stability and fish health. I prefer Nano species that stay 1" as adults.

Read up on your species. The regular ones. The Glo is just Color. Not behavior.

Tiger barbs are pretty well known for their aggression. it is suggested that they be kept in larger groups to help tone this down but even then they are notorious fin nippers. I don't think it has anything to do with their color and more with just their natural aggressiveness. I would ditch these/return them asap (I don't even know why they are as popular as they are)

All tetras, to my knowledge, are social fish and need to be in large groups to feel comfortable and safe. if they are not this can lead them to being stressed, having lowered immune systems, or them possibly being aggressive themselves.

I would also upgrade my tank if you have a 10g. the size isn't doing you any favors. the bigger the better. more stable water parameters and chemistry plus its better for your fish.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom