air pump YES or NO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almcloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just got a 55 gal Marineland kit to move all my fish & plants from current 10 gal and 29 gal I have.
Do I need an Air Pump due to its size? Didn't have one in my current 2. Have 4 Corries, 1 Molly, 1 swordtail, 1 dwarf gourami, 1 balloon ram, 5 kuhli.
Thanks.

Imo I would. But partially for ecstatics I love the way airstones look. If your surface is disturbed enough u don't have to have one. But they look cool and help prevent dead spots by turning water.

joejeff said:
Imo I would. But partially for ecstatics I love the way airstones look. If your surface is disturbed enough u don't have to have one. But they look cool and help prevent dead spots by turning water.

Thanks. Pardon my ignorance, what do you mean by DEAD SPOTS?

A dead spot would be where in your tank lets say there is an area on top where there is no surface agitation. Like where the the one side where your filter is you can see the surface being disturbed. A spot where your water is still.

I recommend an air pump on any freshwater tank, I have seen them save too many tanks when the filter stopped running for one reason or another. The help aerate, move water, and many fish like them.

It even helps with dead spots or spots where there is little to.no water movement.t below surface too. Like I a far corner of your tank isn't having adequate water movement bc its too far from filter. The airstones will cause water movement. And if you do an air pump u.can do a sponge filter in addition to the filter included and really up your benefitial bacteria while improving oxygen Exchange due to surface agitation

Thanks a lot.
One last thing, my gravel is mixture of fine stones and sand. Are the air bubblers going to stir up the sand?
Any suggestions or solution for that?

I'm running 2 Rena 300 air pumps with 2 air stones and I have a mixture as well. I have Cichlid sand as the base and small natural gravel on top, I have no issues.

Convict2161 said:
I'm running 2 Rena 300 air pumps with 2 air stones and I have a mixture as well. I have Cichlid sand as the base and small natural gravel on top, I have no issues.

Thanks. I just picked up a pump, sponge filter and bubble wand. Will post pics when done :)

If it does stir up the sand too much just mount the air stone an inch or two above the bottom. I used to use the Rena Micro Bubblers and I loved them because they gave out very fine bubbles, like a mist, and had a built in suction cup. Now I run the air tube to a tee and from each side of the tee is about one inch of tubing to a one inch air stone. I zip tie this to a small rock so I never have to worry about the suction cups losing suction and the air stones coming up to the top.

Fishguy2727 said:
If it does stir up the sand too much just mount the air stone an inch or two above the bottom. I used to use the Rena Micro Bubblers and I loved them because they gave out very fine bubbles, like a mist, and had a built in suction cup. Now I run the air tube to a tee and from each side of the tee is about one inch of tubing to a one inch air stone. I zip tie this to a small rock so I never have to worry about the suction cups losing suction and the air stones coming up to the top.

Thanks

Why did I never think of using zip ties? Great idea! I have a long flexible bubble wand under my sand and it doesn't stir my sand up, though.

I have a Rena 400 air pump to two 10" bubble walls on the side of my tank. I suction cupped the bubble walls to the bottom glass and covered them in sand. It doesn't move it around at all, and it never did. I either want more air (second Rena 400) or better bubble walls. I really like the look of the Rena micro bubbles, but they are not long enough for what I want.

The Rena pump is almost silent! It is expensive but worth it IMO.

Sean

Back
Top Bottom