algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flushingfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
This may be a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway. If my tank is properly cycled and stable and I am not overstocked on fish how much do I have to worry about algae growth? What triggers it? I am planning a small school of 3 cory's to take care of the bottom so should I worry?

This is my first tank and it is still cycling so I am getting my dumb questions out of the way before I have the problems.

Too much lighting, overfeeding, and phosphates are some things that cause algae. If you see algae start to grow, reduce feeding and lighting as soon as you can. Until then though, enjoy an algae free tank.

Depot hit it right on the head. If you tank receives direct sunlight, eliminate it. If you do see algae growth check the wattage on your bulbs. Also, do not overfeed. If you have natural high Phosphates in your tap you may have issues. If you do notice excess algae (some is normal), test for phosphates.

You will go through a phase after your tank is cycled where you will have Diatoms. It is a common occurance in new tanks. It is a brown "dusty" type algae and will go away on its own.

Back
Top Bottom