Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2017, 09:16 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Update: I was doing daily water changes to bring the ammonia down. I went away for the weekend & came back to find one of the guppies was killed by the filter. It's a small filter so I'm not really sure how he got inside of it. As expected my Ammonia was at a 4.0. All week I kept doing a water change & testing levels. I also started adding Prime with every water change. While the Ammonia has gone down to .5, nitrates & nitrites remain at 0? Is this normal? Should I continue the daily water changes?

Old 02-07-2017, 07:58 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

SMS, I got your reply, yes this is normal...keep doing your water changes whenever you can detect ammonia in your test levels, you really want to be at 0ppm. I would imagine that the guppie died from the 4ppm ammonia and the filter sucked it up after. When you do your water changes don't clean the side or back glass or disturb the filter media. The bacteria (nitrite) you are trying to grow clings to surfaces in the aquarium and filter, so you don't want to disturb them. Once you begin to see nitrate in your levels, you can reduce your water changes. Keep your levels at 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite, and less than 50 ppm nitrate.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ammonia Spike, Missing Shrimp

Oops, I cleaned the inside of the glass yesterday with a toothbrush because it looked dirty. I'm setting up my 29 gallon this weekend. Should I wait until it is cycled to add new fish or would it be okay to add my one guppy since her tank is not cycled ?
Old 02-07-2017, 06:58 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

It's up to you. Just keep an eye on your levels. If he's happy, I would leave him where he is. Just keep up on water changes.

Tags
ammonia, ammonia spike, missing, rim, shrimp, spike

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com