Another fishless cycle thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygurl

Aquarium Advice Freak
SOOOOO sorry for starting another thread but if I resuse my 2 day old threads i dont get any replys. If you remember from my other thread, my tank is pretty much stuck. Its been cycling for more than a month now and here are the results.

Ammonia: 0.6-1 (its been like that for over a week now.)
nitrite: 1.2
Nitrate 50

THese have been the same for a week. Two days ago i did a water change, that did absoulutely nothing. Soooo....... What do you think i should do? I thought about adding more ammonia just no see what happens, but im not sure.

I got stuck, too. It takes a while for nitrites to go. But your ammonia is a bit low. You should probably add more, I think, so that the ammonia>nitrite bacteria doesn't starve and die while you are waiting for your nitrite>nitrate bacteria to sufficiently propagate.

What type of test kit are you using? It looks to me that your cycle is complete and you are getting some trace readings for the ammonia and nitrate. 50ppm of nitrate couldn't be possible with any significant ammonia level remaining.

Nutrafin test kit. I am seeing now that i should have bought the AP brand. But I dont really want to spend anothter 40 bucks on the AP when i already have a almost new nutrafin one. Mabye i should by the AP Ammonia test kit? just incase.. I dont know... Im just hoping this stupid cycle will be over soon so i can get some fish... I purchased the tank in October, it has been a long wait. I added some more ammonia, so i test tomorrow. If i get readings of 0.6 again tomorrow that would probably mean i am a getting incorrect ammonia readings right? The other thing is the nitrite though, it wont come down, it spiked more that tow weeks ago and then began to come down then just stopped at 1.6 or something close to that...

I can try but there not particularly friendly, there are no good pet stores in my area. BUt i will try. If they wont do shoudl i get a different ammonia and nitrite test kit?

IMO, it would be beneficial, especially if you get the sample verified at the LFS. You need to have accuracy with your parameters or all is for naught.

Well, yesterday, i added more ammonia and it was up to 2.4. Now, its at about 1.4, but it hast actually been 24 hours yet more like 15. So, ill test later tonight then, if itsdown to 0.6 again, ill take it to the LFS and see what there test read. The nitrites are ever higher (around 2). Is it possible that the nitrite is spiking AGAIN? If it is, i will actually be happy, belieave it or not, because that would mean thatthe cycle is actually doing something. I guess that it could also mean that the nitrite is going up just like the ammonia, and that the 1.6 is actually my faulty test kit and it was actually 0. Again, ill just have to wait until tonight to see.

I agree with JC, I felt from your last post that your cycle was mostly over. Once your test is verified then you will know for sure. Do you have any friends or family that might have another test kit that you can borrow to verify ammonia?

Nope, i only know two people who have ever kept fish. One had huge tanks for 20 years but stopped when he moved, the other has a tank with 1 tiger barb 1 neon 2 cardinals 6 gouramis and variuos other things that went in there right after she set up the tank, im surprised there still alive, so as you can see not much help there. Tomorrow ill take a sample to the LFS tomorrow and then ill post the results.

Well, im leaving for the pet store soon, if they say that the results are 0 is it safe to bring home 3 of my cherry barbs? Or is there something else i need to do first??

Back
Top Bottom