Another Newbie needs help with Fishless Cycling :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bghouse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm hoping someone can give me a thumbs up or down on what is going on during my cycle. I've been reading everything I can, including these great forums, to try and make sure I do this right.

Tank is Eclipse System 6 (6 gallon). Gravel, a couple of fake plants, heater, 2 stones and a bubble wand.

Put everything together Friday last week, turned on everything and let sit. Wasn't sure about getting a fish yet, so started researching on the internet and found out about fishless cycling. Decided to go this route, so I left the tank running over the weekend, and went out to get all my test kits, ammonia, etc.

Started the cycle on Monday, and from everything I've read the readings seem a bit "funny". (Temp is holding steady at 80, my ph seems to be cursed at 8.0) So here's the weird readings:

Day 1 - Am=0 / Nitrites=.25 / Nitrates=0 (added 10 drops)
Day 2 - Am=2 / Nitriates=.5 / Nitrates=5 (added 10 drops)
Day 3 - Am=2 / Nitrates=.5 / Nitrates = 5 (added 10 drops)

So, is this normal? Should I be trying to get the Ammonia higher faster (i.e. adding more drops)? And should I be seeing these Nitrates yet?

I am noticing a very light white filmy substance on the inside of the tank in a few places. Bacterial bloom?

Any help would be hugely appreciated?

Thank you!

hmmm the Nitrates reading is weird. Also too early to see Nitrites already.

I think 10 drops is enough for 6 gallons. What test kit are you using ? If possible get the water parameters checked from your LFS to compare if the test kit is not a problem

I had problems adding too much ammonia , last time I did fishless cycling.
Check my fishless cycling data at :
http://www.swanandmokashi.com/Homepage/Aquarium/WaterParameters.htm

The test kits are all liquid. The pH kit is from Marine Aquariums and is called pH-Alkalinity Test Lab. The Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrate kits are from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals.

I haven't found a good LFS, as the people at the PetCo are really bad :cry:

I figured I'd keep going and keep taking daily readings. Initially on Friday, Saturday and Sunday I was adding the Cycle product, 'cause that's what the PetCo folks told me to do. But after reading all the posts on fishless cycling, I quit using it on Monday. Could this account for the weird readings?

I don't know enough abt the cycle product.
But if you have doubts just do a 40-50% water change and continue and lets see what the results are.

bghouse said:
Initially on Friday, Saturday and Sunday I was adding the Cycle product, 'cause that's what the PetCo folks told me to do. But after reading all the posts on fishless cycling, I quit using it on Monday. Could this account for the weird readings?

Yes that is what is causing the weird readings. Just keep doing what you're doing. The cycle is complete once Ammonia and Nitrite are both 0 for at least a few days in a row along with the increased presence of Nitrates. It will most likely take around a month or so to finish so be patient.

hth :)

The guidelines I used called for getting the ammon. up to approx. 5 ppm, I think this will get your nitrites going. I had my nitrates rise early and unexplainedly too, but it didn't seem to have any effect in the end, I just did a big water change when the ammon. & nitrites went to zero and the cycle was complete.

You may have seen the guidelines I used at:

www.tomgriffin.com/aquamag/cycle2.html

I tried to follow my fishless cycle on the graph at this site (number of days much shorter):

www.fishprofiles.net/faq/begin-cycling.asp

Good luck! It seems to go a little differently for everybody!

I tried to mimic the ammon. spike and the nitrite spike followed. My nitrates went off the chart early on, but came down some by the end of the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom