Asst Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MREAGLEWO1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 55gal tank. 6 feeder goldfish. I would like to add more fish to the tank, but not sure what will go with goldfish. I dont want to spend alot for the fish. Something nice, and not too expensive.

Thanks in advance

There's a variety of loaches that would work with goldies. Dojo's are one. At out lfs they are $2.95 each. The golden dojo's, when they get them, are over $25.00.

loaches

What are loaches and are there different types. I know you said that there are golden ones. but the other one you said.

Also, you may know. I want to do something with my freshwater tank but dont really know what to do. I am thinking about changing the rocks on the bottom to another color. I was wondering if you had any suggestions that i may be able to do.

Is it good to have a lot of evaporation of water? I top the tank off alot.

Re: loaches

MREAGLEWO1 said:
Also, you may know. I want to do something with my freshwater tank but dont really know what to do. I am thinking about changing the rocks on the bottom to another color. I was wondering if you had any suggestions that i may be able to do.

I use pool filter sand, looks more natural. and easier to maintain.

MREAGLEWO1 said:
Is it good to have a lot of evaporation of water? I top the tank off alot.

Don't just do top-off's. Your nitrate levels will go through the roof, as well as a build-up of other bad stuff. 25% PWC weekly is recommended. I do 25-50% PWC's weekly and never top off.

Yes, loaches are bottom dwellers. And they are a blast to watch. You can do some research at loaches.com to see other types of loaches. When looking for other fish to go with your goldies, research the fish you are interested in and make sure the fish you want will work in the same temp as what you keep your goldies in.

Well, I do pwc, but not as often as i should i guess.... maybe 1 a month....

i have a undergravel filteration thing. wont the sand go in that?

Yes it would. You would need a different filter for sand. PWC's are recommended weekly, or every other week at the most.

Once you do a little searching for fish, start a new thread in the forum here and we'll let you know if your choices will work with what you got. That way, when you start the new thread, we can be more specific with what you have. :)

yes...
And if you miss a week, don't worry. It won't hurt if occasionally you do it every other week. But weekly is preferred, with a gravel vac.

Back
Top Bottom