Back in the Game - Help With Tank Selection (Cube Variety)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonboyb

Aquarium Advice Activist
I haven't dabled with aquariums in better than 15 years, but with a young son who LOVES fish I'm ready to get "him" an aquarium (that's my excuse to the Mrs. anyway:)) Back when I had aquariums, I didn't have the choice of complete systems like the Bio-Cubes, Nano-Cubes, Aquapods, etc. and I was wondering how good these systems are. I'm not sure if they will meet my needs, as I want to build my tank around a Fire Eel (had one as a kid and loved it) and the biggest "cube" style tank I've found is 29 gallon and probably marginally small for a Fire Eel (I plan on doing a much larger tank once my son and the fire eel get bigger).

Anyways, any advice on the cube-style complete tank setups would be appreciated.

Is there a particular reason you want to go with one of the packaged cubes? IMO, these just limit you, both in size selection and future upgrades. I also don't believe that in the long run they really save you any money either.

As we're all aquarium addicts here (maybe we should change the site name accordingly? lol) we're all going to tell you bigger is better. Larger water volume just allows for much more room for error, which is good for a beginner. You having a background already I'd be much less concerned about this though, but would still recommend the largest tank you can accomodate both space and budget wise.

My plan right now is to wait until the fire eel outgrows the smaller tank down the road and start a larger tank (75+g). Then use the cube for a possible SW project. The cubes appear to have most accessories well packaged and hidden which might help me prevent my son from tampering too much when I'm not looking.

I would love to start with the big boy, but since my wife is new to aquariums, I've agreed not to push the limits on an aquarium "for my son:)"

Kids are awesome and allow a good excuse for the "kid at heart" from time to time:D I had forgotten how much fun things like Hot Wheels and Legos were till my son came around.

Back
Top Bottom