Best diet for my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coozle

Aquarium Advice Regular
What's the best diet for these fish if I had in an aquarium..

Rummynose, Cardinal, Neon, Black Neon Tetras
Zebra Danios and Blue Rams.

I have Flake food, I want to make their diet more interesting, and how many times and how much food to add?
Also, what's the best way to keep the Blue Rams colors shining?

I only feed and recommend NLS Thera+A, and feed it exclusively. You will get the best results when it is fed exclusively.

Live, freshly hatched artemia (brine shrimp) is the number one health food for carnivores like tetras and especially rams. However, hatching brine shrimp is often too much for the average fishkeeper.

I agree, NLS line is excellent, but so is Omega One.

I have not found Omega One to be at the same level as NLS. Not that it is not good, it is up there, but not at the top. Any food that has artificial colors is obviously selling to the people, not for the health of the fish. Multiple wheat and soy ingredients, multiple preservatives including ethoxyquin, and fat over 5% (9-11%), all not good. Long term fat levels over 5% will cause fatty deposit diseases and kill the fish.

Long term fat levels over 5% will cause fatty deposit diseases and kill the fish.

Not if the fat is from fish oil.

The Thera A itself lists 7% fat.

Omega One first flake, for instance, lists whole wheat as its sixth ingredient (by law, ingredients are listed top to bottom of what they most contain).

Thera A uses whole wheat as its third ingredient.

They are both very good, healthy brands for fish.

Omega one uses fresh fish, NLS uses processed fish meals instead.

There is a tradeoff in fresh fish vs. fish meal.

If you want colored foods with preservatives, keep using it.

Fishguy2727 said:
If you want colored foods with preservatives, keep using it.

Fishguy, for a medium size Angel fish, which of the many NLS foods do you recommend? I mean, there is a lot of pellets sizes?

i use 1mm thera+a and it's a little big for the smaller community fish, but they still manage to eat it.

Is this a NLS sponsored forum or something? Lol.

There are a lot of high quality food options out there, I like and use NLS but I use others as well, just read the labels and do your homework.

No it's not sponsored by NLS but if you spend so time reading Pablo's website and forums you'll understand why we so passionate about this food.

No it's not sponsored by NLS but if you spend so time reading Pablo's website and forums you'll understand why we so passionate about this food.

What makes you think I haven't? Like I already said, I use NLS and like it, but still, I use multiple types of food. This is coming from a guy who buys their stuff in 5lb buckets at a time.

I like their mantra, but it's not something I live by.

Granted, additives like color are more peoplenip than anything, but does that implicitly make a product bad? People are the one's buying them. Yeah, a fish can live a happy healthy life eating one kind of food its whole life, if the food has everything in it for a balanced diet, but where's the fun in that? Fish probably don't get bored, but the one's feeding them do.

On another note, I like incorporating live foods also.

You will get even better results if you fed exclusively.

How do you know fish need 'fun' variety over proper nutrition? The diet you feed your fish should be based on their needs, not your entertainment.

Live food is a good way to introduce pathogens, throw off the balance of an otherwise balanced diet, and can even increase aggression.

I always feed the Thera+A formula, which comes in 0.5, 1, 2, 3mm, and larger sizes. Depending on what else is with the angels I would probably go with the 1mm Thera+A.

Based on the labels alone they do all seem about the same, but the results achieved with NLS are simply far above and beyond what other foods can do. The quality is simply much better with NLS.

You will get even better results if you fed exclusively.

How do you know fish need 'fun' variety over proper nutrition? The diet you feed your fish should be based on their needs, not your entertainment.
I never said that my fish needed 'fun variety over proper nutrition, thanks for reading into my words, lol. I just stated that yes, some foods have artificial colors in them, but does that make them implicitly bad for some reason?

Live food is a good way to introduce pathogens, throw off the balance of an otherwise balanced diet, and can even increase aggression.
Really? Maybe all of my breeding stock and tanks are going to be compromised by the risk of pathogens being introduced :blink:. My apologies for being facetious, but live foods are used by lots of aquarists and the benefits far outweigh the negatives.
I always feed the Thera+A formula, which comes in 0.5, 1, 2, 3mm, and larger sizes. Depending on what else is with the angels I would probably go with the 1mm Thera+A.
That's cool. I use the 1mm thera+a formula but since I buy such a large amount at a time (to make it affordable) I just go with a size that works for most fish rather than multiple sizes for multiple fish.

B
ased on the labels alone they do all seem about the same, but the results achieved with NLS are simply far above and beyond what other foods can do. The quality is simply much better with NLS.
I'm not sure what those results are, I've not done a side-by-side definitive test, but I have given certain fish a NLS only diet because of the convenience of feeding pellets to certain species and have not noticed any major difference. Of course that's just my observation, and we can both have opposite ones and still be correct in our own right.

Back
Top Bottom