Best tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

connorilles14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I know that there is no "best" tank size because it's all personal preference. However I'm just wondering what people think is the best tank size is that you can get a good amount of fish in. I have a 10 gallon tank that is extremely limiting and I want to start thinking about an upgrade. I want a wide variety of fish in my tank and would like to know what most people have and what they stock! Thanks!

Im setting up a 37 gallon. For a first or second tank many people go with 36, 37, or 40 gallon tanks. However, if you have the room and can afford it, go for a 55, 60, or 75.

I depends what you are planning on keeping.

40g is a good size for a peaceful community tank.

I haven't really though up a stocking list yet but I have really taken Interest in Clown loach's and I have been looking at the cichlid section at my lfs a lot lately.

I say a 40breeder is a perfect size given its footprint

Edit* I have a 20g long with baby mollies, cherry barbs, and neon tetras. Also a cycling 75g that is gonna be an mbuna tank.

Cichlids... Bigger is better. You could try something like a few clown loaches, a school of pims, a clown pleco, and some south american cichlids in a larger tank, Id say minimum 60. I personally dont like african cichlids, and would rather have a bunch of angelfish than those. Than again, IMO peaceful tanks look cooler, and sometimes semi aggresives like angelfish or barbs are neat.

Well bigger is always better, so just get the biggest that you have room for and feel comfortable with. Although 20 longs are good looking tanks, and 40B give lots of territory. 55 gallons are also really common. It just depends.

And no clown loaches in a 60 NinjaTetra. ;)

I haven't really though up a stocking list yet but I have really taken Interest in Clown loach's and I have been looking at the cichlid section at my lfs a lot lately.

They are nice fish but don't make the mistake of buying them for a small tank, the clowns also like to be in groups.

Last edited:
Not in a 60? Well Petsmart always used to try and get me to buy them when I would ask if they had any products to get rid of snails so Ive researched them and I thought 60 gallons was enough.Ya, i know they like groups. Well back on topic, bigger is always better, good point. I have a suggestion- try dwarf loaches, if I could locate some I think I would get them instead of corys

A 20 cause you can start to add the bigger guys like german rams and some plecos and its good for beginners

Not in a 60? Well Petsmart always used to try and get me to buy them when I would ask if they had any products to get rid of snails so Ive researched them and I thought 60 gallons was enough.Ya, i know they like groups. Well back on topic, bigger is always better, good point. I have a suggestion- try dwarf loaches, if I could locate some I think I would get them instead of corys

Yeah, they can get to well over a foot long and generally a 75 is the absolute bare minimum but really IMO it should be 100.

Cost vs size I would say my favorite tank size would be a 40 breeder. If you can I would go with a 75. However any larger than that is generally a poor tank size until you move to the 5 or 6 ft long tanks.

Back
Top Bottom