Best way to acclimate fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmyD

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am currently cycling my tank and was just wondering if anybody could advise me of the best way to acclimate fish?

Hi, the drip acclimation method. It's easy, you'll just need some airline tubing. You could also get a control valve (the ones used for air pumps is good and cheap, you'll see it in the video below). Stick the air valve on the end of the tube, the other end of the tube goes into the tank. Put the fish in a small bucket or container. To start the siphon, gently suck on the end of the tube with the air valve on it; then twist the valve so the water comes out in a fast drip.

How to Drip Acclimate Fish or Corals - YouTube

I didn't have any airline tubing or spare buckets at the time my red cherry shrimp arrived, so I had to go all DIY and use a small but sturdy plastic bowl to empty the animals in -slowly- and then what I did was literally take a plastic spoon and add a few drops of my own aquarium water to their water, until they were in 75-80% of the new water. Took about an hour and a half, but patience is the key to making sure your animals have as safe and stress-free an acclimation as possible. :)

Thank you i've never heard of this method before i'll watch the video when my little monsters are in bed!

Back
Top Bottom